Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Bookmarks, and Christening presents

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 05 10:19 am    Post subject: Bookmarks, and Christening presents Reply with quote

Two things in one, a bargain post if ever there was one

I've ordered a lovely book of nursery rhymes as a present for my new nephew. I don't really like to write in books so I'd like to include a nice bookmark, but buying one seems to defeat the purpose,

1) Any really bright ideas for a bookmark, either to make or buy? I'm not a sewer (yet!) so I think anything like cross-stitch would just annoy me. I might wind up with some pressed flowers, having some nice ones, but just wondered if anyone had any good ideas about that or anything similar.

2) Also will have to produce a Christening present and I have a bit more time for that one, so making something would be more feasible and is obviously appealing. I've just completed a blanket for him (my second ever knitting project, and you will be treated to at least pics and maybe an article soon ) so am not sure about more knitting.

And I don't do soppy stuff, right?

Aiming for practical with a bit of something special and keepable about it, and while I'm prepared to put some money in as well as time, I really would like it to be something from me and Treacodactyl rather than something we went out to buy.

All bright ideas welcome.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 05 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

book mark ideas

My kids went on a school trip last summer and my youngest was invited to pick pretty things on a walk and stick them on to some double sided tape on card and then it was laminated for him. He still has it. Does new nephew have older siblings that you could be the fun Aunty and take for a walk to collect and make together? pressed flowers could be done the same way.

If you can't sew you could still take strips of fabric and plait them together?

A pretty tassel from a home furnishing department could be tied or sewn to a piece of ribbon?

Is there a scrap of fabric from his christening gown or the parents wedding dress ( sorry gone all traditional now!) that you could add in someway.

Another thing you could laminate on to card could be some coins with his year of birth on them. Especially if they were nice shiny ones.

I could go on......

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 05 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any one can sew with binka.

Can you remember those mats you made a primary school with different coloured threads in different stitches.

Cut a long rectangle and get sewing, they are easy.

Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 05 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No! What's binka?

The only things I remember sewing at school were:

- cross stitch on gingham. I still got it wrong at the time.

- chain stitch on felt egg cosies. I'm not quite sure what you use an egg cosy for, and I can't remember how to do chain stich

- machine sewing lace on to a cushion which was written on with a fabric crayon

Pretty much as pointless as our cookery lessons in fact

So, what is it? It sounds good

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 05 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how to explain this.

Binka is a material with lots of holes, quite big, and obviously a criss cross of fibres making it up. Usually children do different stitches in different patterns on a square, and it becomes a table mat, or bookmark.

When you have finished you frey the edges and it all stays together. They are very pretty.

I'll try and find some instructions for them.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 05 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs, I can do cross stitch, therefore you can. It's easy, you just follow the map and put a coloured cross on each square with the right symbol on (Just like painting by numbers, but with pictures, so its even easier) the holes are already in the fabric, so you sew with a darning needle (you can't even prick yourself!) Stop making excuses for your childhood sewing phobia!

If you really can't face it, what about something along the lines of those lovely copper plant labels? You can supposedly get copper from craft shops and cut it with tin snips (much more scope for injury there I fear!) and then 'engrave' it with a blunt pencil (You could trace it through paper if you are as artistic as I am)

You could just use a plant label with a message and give it with a tree. I love the idea of trees to commemorate events and people (new or old!) something like a walnut tree that needs time would be lovely. In years to come, junior will show the tree to his children, and say 'great Aunty Bugs planted that for me when i was atill a tiny baby' depedning on how long before the christening, you could grow it yourself from seed. If your afraid that mum might move house, personalise a big pot to go with it (then you could do it with a lemon or olive or something, depending on mum's facilities!) In fact, I have now inspired myself to do this for a new member of my famlily, and to commemorate a grandparent.

What's wrong with writing in books (as long as there not library books) defacing books should be punishible by hanging, but interesting and usefull notes (and loving dedications) as in some of my charity shop buys are great

Bugs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 05 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:
Binka is a material with lots of holes, quite big, and obviously a criss cross of fibres making it up. Usually children do different stitches in different patterns on a square, and it becomes a table mat, or bookmark.

When you have finished you frey the edges and it all stays together. They are very pretty.

I do like the sound of that. Especially the words "big...children...all stays together". It almost sounds me-proof! I'll have a look in to it, cheers for the info Alison.

The book itself has been dispatched, with blanket in tow as well, but I think other books will be following it and as I often give books as pressies it's worth thinking about for the future.

Bugs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 05 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not convinced by the cross stitch, but I promise I'll look in to it too, WW!

Perhaps I should see someone about this phobia. When I visited sis, mother of babe that this thread is about, she offered me a load of curtain material and loan of her sewing machine, so I might take her up on that.

The copper labels is another fab idea. Not sure how to get the edges smooth, but I suppose you could buy the ready made labels.

I like the idea of the tree but I think they will move, and I think that my sister might find a potted something too much of a challenge. Then there's always the fear that if whatever it is dies, it's symbolic.

One thing I did remember was the suggestion of seeds...preferably of an annual...baby blue eyes being one suggestion but too soppy for me. Anyway, it could just be planted, and being an annual, is much lighter on the omens

I do think I should be known as Great Aunty Bugs though.

Nothing wrong with writing in books, unless you are me...and have handwriting like a doctor with a wrist injury writing on a bouncy castle in the dark. I do like getting books with old dedications in them. I suppose there's no reason I couldn't print one...

thanks for all the ideas everybody...if I get somewhere successful with any or all (!) I'll put up some pics.

There might even be an article in it!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive