Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Bottle by Bottle variation in wine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 8:30 am    Post subject: Bottle by Bottle variation in wine Reply with quote

We had an Elderberry last night, and unlike the other bottles in the batch it lacked "depth", I feeling a little hungover, as we just had to open another, which was much better.

Quite surprised at this variation from the same fermenter.

jema

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using real corks?

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are some waxed no soak needed type.

jema

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, your description is a text-book one of cork taint. A small amount of TCA in/on the cork is not enough to make it 'corked' in the full-blown stinky sense, but will strip out the fruit flavours, leaving the wine thin and lifeless tasting.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, your description is a text-book one of cork taint. A small amount of TCA in/on the cork is not enough to make it 'corked' in the full-blown stinky sense, but will strip out the fruit flavours, leaving the wine thin and lifeless tasting.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I need to be stricter about steralising the corks.

jema

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading a bit more, does not sound like this would help.

jema

cab

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that kind of does sound corky, but that isn't the only way a wine can flatten out in such a way.

However hard you try to clean and sterilise a wine, sometimes you'll just get some contamination in there that'll ruin it. And it isn't just that, sometimes a cork will just be a bit too 'leaky', and the wine will get over-matured, kind of mildly oxidised like a wine that's been opened for four days.

The way to mimimise this kind of thing happening is just to be very, very careful (one of the reasons I like gallon batches rather than big batchers, I feel I can be more attentive to each bottle if I'm bottling them two batches at a time). Make sure the corks are sound with no obvious deep cracks, be damned sure about cleanliness, and only bottle when the wine is 'good and done', with all the sediment out of it that seems likely to come. Bulk maturation really
helps flatten out bottle variation.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have a bit of production line, bottles being soaked in the steralising solution, about 6 in a bucket at a time, and being passed to the rinser for a double rinse out.

It does make me try to think of better ways of doing it.

jema

cab

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
we have a bit of production line, bottles being soaked in the steralising solution, about 6 in a bucket at a time, and being passed to the rinser for a double rinse out.

jema

Personally, I rinde my bottles in sulfite solution and then bottle; I don't rinse out the residue. I think that doing so increases the chance of spoilage.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cab wrote:
jema wrote:

jema

Personally, I rinde my bottles in sulfite solution and then bottle; I don't rinse out the residue. I think that doing so increases the chance of spoilage.

I worry about a chemical taste occurring?

jema

cab

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:

jema

I don't. The sulfite solution I'm using (campden tablets in water) will leave a residue on the surface of the bottles, but it's not going to leave a greater concentration than obtained by adding a campden tablet to a gallon of wine.

1 campden tablet in a gallon = 1/6 tablet in a bottle.

5 campden tablets in half a pint of water, rinsed through a bottle, will leave a residue around the outside. Said residue is, say, 1ml. So that's, say, 1/250th of 5 campden tablets, or 1/50th of a tablet.

I don't worry about it.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 05 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cab wrote:
jema wrote:

jema

I don't. The sulfite solution I'm using (campden tablets in water) will leave a residue on the surface of the bottles, but it's not going to leave a greater concentration than obtained by adding a campden tablet to a gallon of wine.

1 campden tablet in a gallon = 1/6 tablet in a bottle.

5 campden tablets in half a pint of water, rinsed through a bottle, will leave a residue around the outside. Said residue is, say, 1ml. So that's, say, 1/250th of 5 campden tablets, or 1/50th of a tablet.

I don't worry about it.

well that will save me some work then!

jema

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive