Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Transcription work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 06 9:29 pm    Post subject: Transcription work? Reply with quote

In my wanderings about the internet I occasionally see people talking about doing odd jobs transcribing audio files into typed text. Has anyone here ever done any of that sort of work? I was just thinking its remotely possible its the sort of rainy-day-indoors job that might be useful to a downsizer if its possible to pick up legitimate odds and ends of it. And yes, I'm aware that most of the mentions I will have wandered past in the search engines will be scams or less than ideal opportunities, its the general idea I'm thinking of, not a specific example.

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 06 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister did this a while ago as a favour for a friend. She can type at about 40 wpm, but even then, it was long hard work, for not very much money.

Although if you had plenty of time, and didn;t mind how long it took you, I would think it could be quite a relaxing thing to do.

hedgewitch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 06 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about doing it as paid work, but I've done it a a volunteer. I transcribed some oral history interviews for a local history project once. It took a lot of concentration but was interesting listening to the interviewees talk about their lives, which probably made it less tedious then some paid-for jobs.

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 06 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another "at home" job, that might appeal to Downsizers with the relevant qualifications. Saw an advert on a bus this evening

Bernie66

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 06 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penny wrote:
Here's another "at home" job, that might appeal to Downsizers with the relevant qualifications. Saw an advert on a bus this evening

Eh?

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 06 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penny wrote:

Helps if you add the link doesn't it

https://www.examinerrecruitment.org/default.aspx

Bernie66

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 06 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penny wrote:
Penny wrote:

Helps if you add the link doesn't it

https://www.examinerrecruitment.org/default.aspx

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 06 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if you live near a campus there may be dissitation typing still going, or do students all do it themselves now on their laptops?

MrsWW

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 06 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done audio transcription work from home - gave it up about a year ago due to full time work pressure. Paid £10 per hour and was transcribing undercover surveillance tapes. Hard work but interesting.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 06 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsWW wrote:
I've done audio transcription work from home - gave it up about a year ago due to full time work pressure. Paid £10 per hour and was transcribing undercover surveillance tapes. Hard work but interesting.

That doesnt sound too bad if it could be done as and when. Hmm, another one to store under 'might be worth exploring sometime'

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 06 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sally, what are you avoiding now? You only come up with these things when there's something else you should be doing? I've no idea how on earth you fit in all the things you do do aready, let alone add typing!

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 06 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True true, more a case of being scarily broke at the moment and fretting about how we'll manage if I ever do give up full time work to try and go self employed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive