Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Shore and Rock Plug/Lure Fishing For The Novice!

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 06 5:43 pm    Post subject: Shore and Rock Plug/Lure Fishing For The Novice! Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a complete novice at shore fishing but love the idea of trying 'plugging' or 'luring' from rocks or the beach.

Can any more experienced peeps out there give me or suggest a list of what I'd need in the way of kit (rod, reel, type of line, plugs, lures etc etc) to enable me to give this a good go in the next few weeks?!..............from scratch.

Some ideas on how to set things up would also be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Cris

Bodger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 06 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RRB

Have you ever done any course fishing ? Have you got a strongish carp rod ?
If you have you need a fixed spool reel with around 15lb line and a 3/4 oz to1 oz spinner and you are away .

You will need a landing net and a polythene bag for your fish and you are away .
I use a similar outfit with a 10ft carp rod which gives me loads of fun . I fish from the rocks out into deepish water and am casting between 50 and 70 yards .
Last Thursday I caught 1 bass,6 small pollack and two mackerel .
I always find that a period of warm settled weather brings the sand eels into the coast and this attracts the fish that you are after into casting range !

Lionheart

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 06 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Nope, the only course fishing I've done was when I was about 8 with my dad......catching bullheads and the odd rainbow trout in rivers in Cheshire. Arrrrrr.....the memories.

Thanks for the pointers - what kind of lures/plugs do you find work the best?

Cris

Bodger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 06 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm after Bass, mackerel or pollack I use a mepps or a toby spoon. These are just the manufacturers names . Just ask your local fishing tackle shop whats catching . Expect to pay between 3 and 4 pounds apiece . If you have any problems just ask me .

Lionheart

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 06 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Bodger.......just one more, well two, quick questions!

What weight lure do you favour and what type & strength is your line??

Thanks in advance

Cris

Bodger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 06 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RRB
I mentioned it earlier . I tend to go for 15lb line and 3/4 to 1oz lure .
This hasn't got too much to do with the weight of the fish that you are going to catch but more to do with the shock on the line as you cast what is a fairly heavy weight in the spinner !

Good luck ! You will get some blank days but hopefully some rewarding ones as well.
I tend to fish for a couple of hours up to the top of the tide and for a similar time afterwards !

mick ball

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 06 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hire eves, what bodger is telling you is basically right,try a dexters wedge for the spinning they cast like bulletsget longer distance(which helps cover more ground)and they takeless time to get to the bottom that`s if you want to bumpalong the sea bed.you couldalso get some plugs of the sandeel imitation type.

fish (the other one)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 06 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bass like to hunt in the surf,so a short cast is realy worth a try! ive caught bass to 5lb at a range of 10yds at seaton in devon. afloating plug is a favorite of mine.good luck what ever you do!

Bodger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 06 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hya Fish

fish (the other one)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 06 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so whats a nice boy like you doin in a place like this?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive