About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Meet Stinker
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 07 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meet my 'Moss'. A collie dumped with his brother from a car in Luton, did the 7 days in the pound, was taken from there and transported to my firend's rescue kennels and from there to mine to fill the massive hole left when my beloeved 'Kip' died in February. Moss was around 8-9 months old when I got him and settled right in with all the other dogs, the cats, the poultry etc. This is day one when I got him, had to lift him to get him indoors as he was afraid to come in. Within 3 hours, he was wormed, deflead, bathed and shown by the other dogs, how to sit on the sofa and eat a chewy stick. Now he does it all like a professional lol.
Ain't he flipping handsome?

judith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 07 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous.

gingerwelly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 07 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a farm dog that has done a runner during one of the stock markets ......might be worth giving the stock yards a call .. they could put a note up at the office. One of my dads dogs got lost in Welshpool a few years ago ....he got scared and ranoff ..and had no idea how to get home ..he was found a week later in Newtown

Last edited by gingerwelly on Thu Jan 04, 07 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

fenwoman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 07 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, does anyone else like to use traditional collie names for their collies?
I have a 'thing' about it and wouldn't dream of naming a collie anything other than one of the traditional names.

hedgewitch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 07 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fenwoman wrote:
Incidentally, does anyone else like to use traditional collie names for their collies?
I have a 'thing' about it and wouldn't dream of naming a collie anything other than one of the traditional names.

What are the traditional names?

gingerwelly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 07 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what traditional names ?
most of our dogs on the farm have had the same names over the years ...Scott , Flos , Bob ,Shep , and Badger as far as i know those names have been used by about 6 generations of farmers ...oh and we had a ringo ....back in the 60's

judith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 07 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerwelly wrote:
It could be a farm dog that has done a runner during one of the stock markets ......might be worth giving the stock yards a call .. they could put a note up at the office.

Worth a try, although I don't think there was a market between Christmas and New Year.

fenwoman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 07 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually names of one syllable <sp> like Kip, Moss, Fly, Nop, Cap,Tarn,Meg, Tip,Cass,Bob,Roy, also names taken from their natural surroundings like Rowan
https://www.gis.net/~shepdog/BC_Museum/Permanent/BC_Names.html

gingerwelly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 07 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.property-midwales.co.uk/agrimarkets.htm

morris marshall and poole .....give them a call or email

judith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 07 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, thanks.

Marionb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 07 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our sheepdog is called Moss too, Fenwoman... and looks so much like your Moss that they could be brothers!!!

I will post a piccy for comparison if I can find one!!

fenwoman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 07 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marionb wrote:
Our sheepdog is called Moss too, Fenwoman... and looks so much like your Moss that they could be brothers!!!

I will post a piccy for comparison if I can find one!!

I must admit it took me 9 months before I had the courage to get another collie in case I expected it to be as wonderful as 'Kip' was. 'Kip' was black and white though so I am please that 'Moss' is tricolour as it's enough of a difference to stop me inadvertantly calling him 'Kip' or expecting him to be the same. Today he learned to give me a paw which he now insists on doing every single time he sees me. Once he has been castrated and once he has got some more confidence inasmuch as he doesn't throw himself submissively onto his back with his ears back and tail between his legs, I will be able to work with him a bit more. It is hard to teach a dog anything when he just wants to make absolutely sure that I know that he thinks that he is dirt beneath my feet

Nanny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 07 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in case you havne't, you could try the police just in case

when merlin was left at the our last place of employment, we made sure we contacted the local knick and the local vets to make sure no one had reported losing a greyhound

they hadn't and he is ours

he looks lovely by the way

seems like it's meant to be.............sometimes it just happens that way

poppyandpals

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 07 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please atleast check the lost dog sites! Dog theft is rife at the moment and he may well have been knicked from another part of the country. Im afraid you cant just keep a dog because you found it, it isnt legal for one.

Ducks for cover

Having said that he may well have been dumped and if so hes a lucky sod to have found you. I have a dumped/strayed collie, hes a dote but dumb with it

mochyn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 07 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met Stinker on Friday and he seemed a perfectly nice dog. Well, that's what I thought until Judith told me he'd decapitated a chicken...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive