Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Crop rotation vs companion planting: very confused!
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 07 12:45 pm    Post subject: Crop rotation vs companion planting: very confused! Reply with quote

I suspect I am over-complicating this and as soon as I start doing it it will all fall into place - but I am really worrying far more than is healthy about the layout of The New Allotment (TM). My books have pages about crop rotation, which I understand - makes sense and seems reasonably simple. But then, without fail, you turn the page to find the bit where they tell you to plant, eg, your onions in with your carrots. But on the crop rotation section they have an onioney bit and a carroty bit separate! Gah.
Should I not worry, stop drawing plans (but I *like* drawing plans!), bung things in where they look happy this first year and just make sure everything goes somewhere different in the future? Or is there a logical way to do it?
Thanks in advance
Thicky Lisa

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 07 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crop rotation is more important than companion planting (which may or may not work)

LynneA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 07 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I better get working on adapting my college essay into an article......

Basically, it's generally agreed that crop rotation is essential and works. Companion Planting is at best random, but could be considered as part of a planting plan once a crop rotation plan has been worked out.

Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 07 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But coudl you rotate, say, your carrots and onions together? (I am developing a carrot/onion obsession since that is the example all the books use!)

cab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 07 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa wrote:
But coudl you rotate, say, your carrots and onions together? (I am developing a carrot/onion obsession since that is the example all the books use!)

You can if you like, but it would be important not to follow the same patch of ground with onions again (slightly less important with carrots, but still worth rotating).

Home on the Hill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 07 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experiments have shown that the carrot onion thing does work - but only if you have four rows of onions to every row of carrots. And it only works while the onions are actively growing. Since the whole point is to prevent carrot fly, just grow your carrots under horticultural fleece IF carrot fly is a problem - it may not be!

Most companion planting has not been scientifically proven and seems to be mostly anecdotal. Sort out the crop rotation first, add some pretty flowers to attract pollinating and pest-predating insects and take it from there.

Good luck!

Beth

starmoonlilly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 07 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the carrot/onion rotation, it has worked. But you could plant Tagetes as well, only it may be a waste of valuable veggie space. Ive also interplanted with chives, garlic and leeks.

treaclepuss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 07 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really need to keep onions well weeded - so not ideal to grow with carrots, in my opinion. I grow dill with carrots, it's strongly scented and not affected by rotation. I also like it and use lots

supersprout

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 07 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree - organise major crop rotation (alliums, brassica and solanums) first. Then experiment with some companion planting if you like, and see what results you get.

We practice two sorts of companion planting on our veg plot:

1. Mixing veg that grow well together e.g. corn, beans and squash; carrots and tomatoes; celeriac and leeks; beetroot and kolrabi.

2. Interplanting with herbs and non-edible plants that repel predators and attract pollinating insects e.g. borage and runner beans; summer savory and beans; mint, nettles and tomatoes; sage and brassica. If you have beds, you can plant these at the end where the path is, and not lose cultivated space

The first year we planted summer savory in among the beans, and no flea beetle so carried on with tagetes and borage. This year we'll be even more adventurous. There's so much to learn, yay!

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 07 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem when I was writing my Vegetable Gardeners Almanac software (see my site). I had built into the program checks for crop rotation and then I bought Carrots love Tomatoes and Roses love Garlic by Louise Riotte - the companion planters guru. I tries to draw up a chart about what could be grown with what and what combinations to avoid. The material contradicted itself and it became clear that it was very inconsistent and impossible to follow. I gave up on trying to incorporate it in the program. As the author states 'Companion Planting is a Mystery'. Well, crop rotation is a science. 'nuf said.

VSS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 07 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good crop rotation is essential to avoid a build up of soil borne pests and diseases. It also help to balance the nutrient levels in the soil. It is vital for healthy soil, and without healthy soil, your crops will not flourish.

Companion planting is a nice idea, but seems to be aimed mostly at flying nasties attracted by the smell of their host plant (an oversimplification i know).

If you can do both, great and you are a better planner than i am. Always go for rotation above companions.

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

AnneandMike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 07 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your site, Tim and Dot. Welcome to downsizer.

VSS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 07 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it.

Please tell your friends!!

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Gavin Bl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 07 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a TV program on growing your own veg the other night, that talked about companion planting, highlighting the '3 sisters' corn, beans and squash.

If I was to try and do that, and be a good rotator to boot, would they come under the legumes part of the cycle or what? cheers

yours in horticultural ignorance...

Gav

judith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 07 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavin Bl wrote:
If I was to try and do that, and be a good rotator to boot, would they come under the legumes part of the cycle or what? cheers

Neither. It is such a hungry combination that you would have to grow it on your manure pile!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive