Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
The Wine Programme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 05 11:51 am    Post subject: The Wine Programme Reply with quote

Radio 4 Monday 16:00 The Wine Programme
Series in which Oz Clarke and Andrew Jefford celebrate the pleasure of wine. They share oenological experiences with celebrity guests and offer listeners an interactive tasting. [Rptd Sun 12.30pm]

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 05 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite like Andrew Jefford, never really thought he fitted in at The Standard. Oz, despite his buffoonish TV persona, is actually really knowledgeable and a brilliant taster. I reckon this should be worth a listen.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 05 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who did the series with Floyd? we've often fancied learning a bit more about wine but don't fancy going on a tasting course where people seem to consentrate more on money than wine.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 05 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't remember. If you want to do a course then the WSET courses(Wine and Spirits Education Trust), used to be trade only but are open to civilians nowadays. A quick google should find someone near you offering them. They offer a good grounding, and the qualifications are recognised as worth while should you ever need a job in the field.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 05 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Civie wine drinker. I'm not sure a course would be good round these parts. If the people are anything like our neighbours.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 05 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The civilian idea came from training new staff. If you're working with wine then I don't care whether you like it or not, I want you to be able to tell me if it's good or not, and why.
For example I can't stand gewurztraminer, but when I was working I still needed to be able to talk to customers about the wines.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 05 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm comming from the other direction. I don't think I'll ever work with wine, but I drink a fair amount and would like to know some more. I have a few books, know roughly what I like but would like to know a bit more (what to look for in a young wine for it to be a good ager for example).

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 05 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A course would work, or you could try to find a decent wine-merchant near you. Anyone worth his salt is going to remember regular customers and what they like, and should be able to broaden your horizons for you.
The ageing thing is problematic, nearly all wine is drunk too young, except for the stuff that's drunk too old. The best way to work it out for yourself is to buy a case of something with moderate potential such as Guigal's Cotes du Rhone, open a bottle every 6-12 months and write tasting notes each time. There's no such thing as perfect maturity, only perfect maturity for you.
For ageing potential you're looking for a young wine with a lot of everything, particularly fruit and tannin (unless it's pinot noir when you're looking for acidity).

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 05 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Andrew Jefford's an excellent presenter, should be good

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 05 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
I think Andrew Jefford's an excellent presenter, should be good

His real ambition in life is to earn a living by having his poetry published. Which is unlikely, but he is a really nice bloke.

twoscoops

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 05 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan Pendly, a typically geeky master of wine.

Can strongly recommend Hugh Johnson and Jancis Robinson's World Atlas of Wine (or just by HJ if you pick up an older copy, which you can do quite cheaply). It is by far the best wine book of all I have seen.

One tasting I did with Oz Clark ended with him drinking out of the bottle, he was so plastered.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive