About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Tallow
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, just a bit surprised at my own luck, there............

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy some you'd better tell me what it's like, it sounds good but I've never tried it before.

Sarah D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, will do. I know their cereals are excellent.

cab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah D wrote:
Yes, I could try that, would obviously be better in a lot of ways. Soaps made with poils tend to be a bit softer than those made with animal fats, but that should be sufferable. Might have a go with the oil tomorrow if I get around to it. Will have to look for British rapeseed oil - any brands you know of?

It's good to blend oils to get the result you like. I tend to use a base of 400g coconut oil (cheap in Chinese supermarkets), 400g sunflower oil, and 200g olive oil. Comes out hard enough. I've used goose fat, which eventually gave a lovely, mild soap, but took a long time to go hard.

Coconut oil tends to make the bar harder, if you're using oils rather than animal fats.

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any other UK veggie oils?

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah D wrote:

I don't know why, everythings just up the road from you! [/i]

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 05 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I made was corn oil and coconut oil.

Sarah D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 05 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
Sarah D wrote:

I don't know why, everythings just up the road from you! [/i]

Well, can't help it....................... Will notice a difference when I move house, though........... will have to be resourceful.

I like Tahir's idea of using oil that is produced in the UK; my conscience now won't let me buy in coconut oil or whatever, and that's the way it should be. Even if it is expensive (in monetary terms at the very least), then I can make a little last longer, and when it's finsihed, go without until I get some more. What downsizing is all about, really.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 05 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used what I had here already. Shame to waste it.

cab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 05 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah D wrote:

I like Tahir's idea of using oil that is produced in the UK; my conscience now won't let me buy in coconut oil or whatever, and that's the way it should be. Even if it is expensive (in monetary terms at the very least), then I can make a little last longer, and when it's finsihed, go without until I get some more. What downsizing is all about, really.

I prefer to use British sourced materials, but sometimes (say, with pepper or cocounut oil, for example) we don't have the capacity to make something in the UK.

But sticking to British materials, there's alwys good old fashioned lard, tallow and the like, as you've discovered.

My gut feelign is that venison fat should make a hard soap, but I'm not entirely sure.

The problem with using mostly oils, and getting a hard bar with all of the other properties you like, is all to do with what fatty acid compoents you have in them. I recently cquired a copy of Susan Miller Cavitch "The Soapmakers Companion", an excellent book, and has a good guied for how to balance out different oils to get the properties you like.

Looking throught the list in that book, I've yet to see a good example of a combination of vegetable oils that you can source from the UK that would be just right, so you're probably better concentrating on animal fats in combination with, say, sunflower or rapeseed oil.

cab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 05 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison wrote:
The one I made was corn oil and coconut oil.

Should be a really good blend. I like just a little bit of olive oil in there too, just becasue it makes ta bar a more 'conditioning' bar, the blend of fatty acids in olive oil being excellet for that.

Joey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 05 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:

Well the two big oilseed crushing facilities in the UK are ADM at Erith
(not far from you, Tahir). and Cargill at Liverpool. ADM crushes rape
and Cargill crushes imported soya beans.
There are other smaller oilseed crushers some do cocoa, shea obviously imported crops!!.
The only UK crops that get crushed would be linseed and then some
pharmaceuticals like evening primrose, borage.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 05 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could go for something slightly more local - not UK, but plenty of European olive and sunflower oil. Better than coconut oil from the tropics!

judyofthewoods

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 05 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:

sunflowers grow in this country. Linseed too, but linseed oil is a drying oil, not sure it would be suitable for soap.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 05 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapeseed is a drying oil too surprisingly enough. Its been used in soap since the Elizabethan period, but only in 'coarse soap' so it lends itself well to laundry soap. I use equal parts of tallow and rapeseed in mine.
Saved tallow/dripping works well in soap but save it up in tubs labelled with which animal it is- the SAP values (amount of lye needed to turn a given amount of fat into soap) are different for say beef or chicken fat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive