Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Obsolete Currency

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 04 1:34 pm    Post subject: Obsolete Currency Reply with quote

What can you do with old foreign currency? I've got at least £200 worth of old notes and plenty of change too, is there a charity or organisation that can do something useful with them?

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 04 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed collection tins at airports for currency oddments.

jema

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 04 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did think that but I'm not going anywhere too soon

Bugs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 04 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on where your foreign currency is from - I'm not sure about ex-Euro countries, I suspect the deadline for doing anything useful with those is past, because I think France's deadline for exchanging Francs for Euros at the national bank passed some time this year.

I do know that a number of charities collect foreign currency and did a big push on the Euro - if it's a current currency it might be welcomed somewhere. For some reason Help the Aged springs to mind, also Guide Dogs for the Blind (and they're not pets, Tahir, so they're OK for you! )

If I'm feeling really charitable I'll have a look.

Failing that I imagine that there are some collectors, who might use them. Maybe the charities, or Scout groups and whatnot, will collect and sell on for that purpose, like they do with stamps.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 04 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our local Round Table (or it may be rotary) have a collection bottle in our local bank.

Bugs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 04 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to reply to this earlier when the computer decided it was time for a Sunday afternoon nap.

In brief..I found Barnardos and Help the Aged sites saying they can make use of obsolete currencies as well as current ones, and a Guardian article (in a section called Ethical Money, which will be worth a look sometime, when the computers had a dose of digital Red Bull, perhaps) which says Unicef is collecting through HSBC and something called Travelex which I guess is bureaux d'echange.

Some other charity...Ockendens I think "for displaced people over fifty"...offered to send you special bags to fill and take to hmmm probably Barclays.

So the moral of the story is perhaps to take it with you next time you're going in to town, and call in at your preferred charity shops and see if they fancy it.

Nothing from Guide Dogs though. They do still collect stamps...

Sarah D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 04 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your local Oxfam shop will take them. Like the stamps they collest, they are all sorted and sold to collectors here and abroad to raise money.
Try to resist the urge to put the coins into parking meters etc like some people do............

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive