Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Pollen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 05 6:01 pm    Post subject: Pollen Reply with quote

I've just come back from the Sierra Nevada, and they seem to produce a lot of honey out there - little stalls on the roadside with big jars of different honeys with handwritten lables. They also had jars of pollen - little yellow grains that looked like rice crispies covered in saffron. My spanish is not fantastic, so what on earth would one do with it? Has anyone ever come across it for sale before and is it nice? I didn't buy any, but we'll be going back so I can get some if it's worth a try.

PS - any honey recipes would be welcome too! I bought a ridiculous amount! It comes in what appears to be a 2lb jar - I bought one of rosemary honey and one of a thousand flowers, and a little jar of walnuts in honey. It'll last me years unless I find something to do with it!

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 05 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I always go for is loquat (nispero in spanish) honey very tasty, I've tasted the pollen, wasn't very nice, dunno what they do with it though

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 05 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were told that the pollen was taken to prevent hayfever - cant say if its true or not but many warm european countries have it for sale

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 05 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's never worked for me - but that doesn't mean it wouldn't for other people.

Anyway - I have found lots of things to do with the honey, including honey lemon curd and fruit leathers from the preserved book, and Sarah D's mead, if I can find a space somewhere.

Blacksmith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 05 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have any problems at customs ? I thought the importation of honey was resticted ?

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 05 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know - they never asked! Actually, I'm not sure we went through customs - we drive and go via eurotunnel, I vaguely recall waving a passport at someone, but can't remember any customs bits!

In general, they are more interested in the dogs' passports than ours (and thats only people giggling at their pictures, and saying 'awww - how cute, they've got their own passports'! And this the pet passport scheme office!)

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 05 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always bring honey back from Spain, my favourite is Loquat honey.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive