About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Launching new web design site
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 05 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that right at the start of Downsizer, I'd never heard of Mambo so hunted around for sites that used it. Anyway TS what do you think of Jema's intended charging policies? Would you pay £1000 set up & £ 600 per annum?

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 05 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:

Although the Brazilian Porsche site is done in mambo:

www.porsche.com.br

Looks quite modded though.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 05 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
I found that right at the start of Downsizer, I'd never heard of Mambo so hunted around for sites that used it. Anyway TS what do you think of Jema's intended charging policies? Would you pay £1000 set up & £ 600 per annum?

Possibly less per annum, and this would be for a full oscommerce solution, with the support needed to put the customer in charge of the process.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 05 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
Looks quite modded though.

Spose that's the beauty of it, you can do a lot with it if you've got the resources

twoscoops

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 05 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially I'm looking for a website that has basic contact details, (both for potential customers and potential suppliers) as well as a few images, ethos and even a menu for sarnies etc. I would only consider paying that much if I wanted to get into ecommerce, which I don't at the moment. If it was £1,600 for a year I would have to sell a lot on line to make it worthwhile.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 05 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's a fixed fee of £1000 for set up. And then support of £600. I'm sure it would be cheaper if it was non commerce.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 05 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twoscoops wrote:
Initially I'm looking for a website that has basic contact details, (both for potential customers and potential suppliers) as well as a few images, ethos and even a menu for sarnies etc. I would only consider paying that much if I wanted to get into ecommerce, which I don't at the moment. If it was £1,600 for a year I would have to sell a lot on line to make it worthwhile.

As Tahir says the £1000 is initial set up of an ecommerce site. Non commerce would be cheaper, but not massively cheaper.

The irony I am finding as I try and find an ethical pricing structure, is that the prices are going to have to be considerably higher than you can find if you look But when people are suckered into paying a low intial price, they then find over the long term it was not such a good deal.

But how do you convince someone to pay more to start with? When the basic problem is that most of the customers will find a lot of the issues are beyond their current level of understanding.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 05 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of those catch 22's, you need reference sites, I think a user forum would be good but you need a user base for that.

My initial thought would be to find someone that already has a site and try and win them over for a re-design at a reduced rate.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 05 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
IMy initial thought would be to find someone that already has a site and try and win them over for a re-design at a reduced rate.

My thinking for this is twofold:

1. Obviously they know a little about what's involved in a web site

2. They've seen the benefits (hopefully) of it to their business and would like to see it go further.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 05 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
It's one of those catch 22's, you need reference sites, I think a user forum would be good but you need a user base for that.

My initial thought would be to find someone that already has a site and try and win them over for a re-design at a reduced rate.

Probably, and hopefully I will find a punter from among our members here As you know I got into this by deciding that arkwrights was a business that deserved a boost, and I started on that free of charge, there are a lot of people on this site who are not at all in a position to pay a sensible rate for the service I provide, but people who are in need of a good web presence.

If you are a struggling smallholder, throwing £1000 at a web site, is a daunting prospect.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 05 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think off hand of one of our members that currently has need of a complex site, definitely not a commerce enabled one anyway.

There are loads of non members that I could point you at though.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 05 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
I can't think off hand of one of our members that currently has need of a complex site, definitely not a commerce enabled one anyway.

There are loads of non members that I could point you at though.

When I'm ready I'll take you up on that. My trouble has always been wanting stuff to sell itself though. I find the prospect of talking people into buying stuff pretty off putting, even when it would be doing them a favour.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 05 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until you get to a stage where you've got some satisfied punters I can't see how you'll be able to get customers seeking you out.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 05 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Until you get to a stage where you've got some satisfied punters I can't see how you'll be able to get customers seeking you out.

I know

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 05 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i'm now busy creating the new site

writing some basic guides for small businesses wanting a web presence at the moment.

Explaining things like domain name registration etc, and with each stage, the way they can be ripped off by the dodgy dealers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive