Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
We're all going to dye

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 05 8:47 am    Post subject: We're all going to dye Reply with quote

Well, I am, when I get time. Just reading Cab's post about alkanet being a dyer's plant, meaning to sow some woad seeds we have left (might be a bit late for this year but worth a go). Has anyone experimented much with dyeing cloth, wool or anything else that springs to mind?

What colour does alkanet give?

cab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 05 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: We're all going to dye Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Well, I am, when I get time. Just reading Cab's post about alkanet being a dyer's plant, meaning to sow some woad seeds we have left (might be a bit late for this year but worth a go). Has anyone experimented much with dyeing cloth, wool or anything else that springs to mind?

What colour does alkanet give?

Can't remember offhand. It's used in soapmaking, so if you check out some soapers forums (uksoaping on yahoo is a biggie) you ought to get some good advice.

I tried that, was told to dig up the roots, rinse the soil off, chop them and soak them in oil. Got nothing

moggins

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 05 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm talking complete rubbish but remember watching a programme about the viking days and all colour extraction seemed to be done by boiling the particular vegetable?

mochyn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 05 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What worries me about dying is the use of mordants. Will they damage my septic tank or cause problems if I rinse the dyed cloth in the stream (the best constant flow of clean water here)?

I've got details of alkanet somewhere: I'll have to go and have a look in the library. I may be some time...

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 05 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a lot of dyeing over the years. You can get away with infinitely less mordant than most of the books suggest, and for most purposes a little alum and some salt works well. A few plants don't need a mordant at all, and others work very well if you use uringe (fresh or stale gives different results). Alkanet is pH sensitive, so you get different results depending on whether your dyebath is acid or alkali.I havent planted my woad yet either, but I reckon it will still do ok if I get it in soon.

mochyn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 05 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Sally. I'll definitely have a go soon: I've got some unbleached linen I'd like to colour.

As for alkanet, I was spurred by the coincidence of a thread about an unidentified plant in the Chat sectio which turns out to be an alkanet. The dye plant is Anchusa officinalis, alkanet, which gives soft pin-brown when used with an acetic acid mordant or deep red with oil or alcohol. The other is evergreen alkanet, Pentaglottis sempervirens which is poisonous and useless apart from being pretty. The former flowers June-September while the latter is flowering now or soon will be until June. Phillips' Wild Flowers of Britain has excellent pictures of both and really should be on your bookshelf if it iwn's already!

Off to look for some dye plants.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 05 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that linen is notorius for taking only a few dyes well. Would be worth doing very small experiments on some scraps first or all the lovely colour could vanish when you rinse.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive