Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Sport?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 07 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bodger wrote:
TD
You are presuming that by giving the quarry a chance, that you are increasing its chance of being wounded. This is not the case.

By 'the chance' we mean that theres a chance that you might not find the quarry or get yourself in a position where you can take a clean shot. Thats the sporting bit.

That might apply to you and others, but there are people who think that taking a harder shot than many would seem acceptable as more sporting and that's what I'm not happy about.

Bodger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 07 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know any of those sort of people in field sports, if you do, then you have been unlucky in making the aquaintance of an absolute minority.

king rat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 07 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
bodger wrote:
TD
You are presuming that by giving the quarry a chance, that you are increasing its chance of being wounded. This is not the case.

By 'the chance' we mean that theres a chance that you might not find the quarry or get yourself in a position where you can take a clean shot. Thats the sporting bit.

That might apply to you and others, but there are people who think that taking a harder shot than many would seem acceptable as more sporting and that's what I'm not happy about.

Such people should then not be termed sportsmen or hunters TD.
They have no place in the shooting field and should press their egos at clay pigeon shooting.

Bodger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 07 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't think that field sportsmen are being confused with poachers and thieves do you ?

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 07 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it not possible to be both a sportsman and a poacher?

king rat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 07 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it suits you then why not

Bodger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 07 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go poaching you are going out simply just to steal game from someones property and to fill your bag as quickly as you can. You will gauge your success solely by numbers taken. Thats not sport.

I suppose the sporting element could be in avoiding the gamekeeper or police.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 07 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't agree that deciding not to kill something that you could is being sporting. I could go up the allotments, turn over some compost heaps and batter a few rats. That I choose not to is not me being sporting, it's me being lazy.

I can understand 'sport' being a combination of the skills the hunter requires and the unpredicatability of the environment but as I've said before I just consider that to be what hunting is. The personal motivation of the person involved is harder to fathom, the challenge, developing andpractising field skills, satisfaction of a good shoot/clean kill or just a desire to shoot at things and kill them. The end result is the same, the actions are the same. It's hunting.

Bodger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 07 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. If after reading this thread you can't see where some of us are coming from, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

king rat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 07 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if i decide not too shoot more pigeons than I need for my own use I am being lazy and not sporting then. Point taken, I think I must be a lazy sportsman then.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 07 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bodger wrote:
. If after reading this thread you can't see where some of us are coming from, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I don't mean in terms of deciding not to take a risky/macho shot. I mean in terms of King Rat's comment that deciding to stop shooting animals that you could kill was somehow sporting.

If my motivation for hunting, using all the skills it requires, was purely the thrill of the kill, the pleasure it brought me, would I be a 'good sport'?

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 07 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was in response to my comment that I didn't view my own shooting as a sport as it was pragmatic : for just as much game as I want to eat, and then I stop.
KR suggested that was a sporting kind of attitude (different kind of 'sporting', perhaps ?)

sparky

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 07 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foxy 200 yrd away
me laid down 243 on bypod crosshair clearly on target

do i take the shot or do i attempt to squeek the fox in to 30 yrd
and exterminate it ?

Brownbear

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 07 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparky wrote:
foxy 200 yrd away
me laid down 243 on bypod crosshair clearly on target

do i take the shot or do i attempt to squeek the fox in to 30 yrd
and exterminate it ?

Given that you have about a three-by-six lethal spot in the chest area of the fox, if you are using the correct ammunition, you ought to be able to get a clean kill at 200 yards. If not, tune your ammo a bit. I use a .22 centrefire for fox, with frangible rounds - it inflicts a massive and invariably fatal wound anywhere in the chest area. IMO, soft-point bullets as used for deer aren't ideal for fox as the animal isn't large and solid enough to initiate full expansion of the projectile.

As I shoot animals for a fee, I suppose I can't be said to be taking no more than I require, but I do do my best to make sure all the shot animals are eaten. There have been occasions where rabbits have had to go to landfill. I would say I respect my quarry, even rabbits - they are tough little blighters and anything but a head shot often leaves them mortally wounded but alive. I have got in the habit of 'double-tapping' them with the .22 to ensure that their suffering is minimised, even though this can often result in a loss of meat. Even so, my objective is to kill as many as possible in as short a time as possible.

The same with pigeon. Deer are rather a different story, as once you have bagged one the sound of the shot sends the others running for cover; I've only got three 'doubles' in years of stalking. I still see it as butchery, though, just humane butchery which I take pleasure from doing well, and out in the open air which I love.

KILLITnGRILLIT

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 07 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It`s a strange one but under the terms of the general licence I cannot shoot woodpigeon for sport, however as everyone who shoots them will tell you, they are extremely sporting birds.

In the future will the men from DEFRA or a secret police squad come out and find me and attach me to a machine to find out if I got any sport from shooting them ?

Better one volunteer than 10 pressed men.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive