Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Ginger Beer Recipe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 05 8:24 am    Post subject: Ginger Beer Recipe Reply with quote

As promised. This one is based on Phillip Harbens recipe.

2oz. root ginger
Juice of 2 lemons
1lb. sugar
1 gallon water
Yeast

Beat the ginger with a hammer or rolling pin to get it good and broken up, and put it in a clean, sterilised bucket with the lemon juice. Get the water boiling, add the sugar to dissolve it. Pour this over the ginger and lemon juice and cover.

Activate some yeast when the brew is cooler (blood temp or so, and bread yeast will do). Pitch it in, and keep it all covered up. When it's cooled, pour it all into a wide necked glass jar (I use a demi-jon), ginger and all, add an airlock (or, again, cover it) and five it, say, two to four days. Till the fermentation isn't 'feisty' any more.

Bottle it in plastic pop bottles, and look out for explosion; check it every day and let off a little pressure should it be necessary. It'll be read three to six days from bottling.

Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 05 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is ginger beer actually alcoholic at all, or is it 0.5% type like you get in the shops in fancy bottles?

I'd love to make some, I love ginger beer and I can come over all Famous Five (bagsie being George...or more likely Timmy ).

cab

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 05 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's alcoholic, but I've never calculated just how alcoholic it is. Not very, but I'd have to work it out checking gravity.

mochyn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 05 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cab: you're a star. I also checked out the nettle beer on River Cottage, and have to say that I think links to/from other sites work well. Guess what I'll be doing at the weekend! Now, where can I get some pop bottles?

cab

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 05 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mochyn wrote:
Guess what I'll be doing at the weekend! Now, where can I get some pop bottles?

The nice placky ones work well. Polyethylenetrephthalate is a marvellous material

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive