Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Building a home - to live in!
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 05 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the planning peoples' views vary from Council to Council, and no two seem to be exactly the same..............
I don't know about Building Regs people, but imagine it may be much the same for them.
I'm longing for someone here to apply for permission for a straw bale build - something to get my teeth into on the Parish Council.............
It may well be me applying, though

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 05 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the building regs, but the NHBC won't cover straw bale builds. For anyone who doesn't know, then the NHBC let you (for a fee!) register your property for a ten year structural gurantee, and most mortgage lenders insist on it as part of their lending conditions (there is an alternative scheme through zurich, but I don't know if they would cover a straw bale build either)

If you you don't need a mortgage, you don't need to consider this (lucky you), but may have problems selling it later, if your buyer needs a mortgage.

hardworkinghippy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 05 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm dying to jump in here, then I remember that I live in France and everything is different here - but it's not that different.

Twelve years ago I applied for PP to build a 170 sqare metre straw bale house. I'd done my research (France already has a lot of straw bale buildings.) and technically, the plans I did were excellent. I was refused permission time after time simply because the local planning department didn't know much about the technique and couldn't be bothered learning.

I needed somewhere to live, so I relented and changed "bales" to breezeblock" on the plans and the PP was delivered without a hitch.

Education and spreading the word is the most important this we can do to help this technique become accepted by planners. Now, in this part of France it is not too difficult to get PP for small straw projects, providing they are not loadbearing.

With respect, I think too that many of us should get away from the idea that building is for "reselling" or for "life". Sometimes a temporary structure can give you and your family a few years breathing space at a cheap rent in an amazing natural environment.

I know there's no stability, but at least you can be sort of sure that you won't be swept away by some huge tidal wave.

HWH

Uncle-silas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 05 2:01 pm    Post subject: heater cooker boiler Reply with quote

There is a product that I sell that does all of the above, big oven, 15kw boiler and burns wood, have a look at https://www.metaldynamics.com.au/metaldynamics.htm and go to the gourmet page, get in touch if you need any other help

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 05 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Metal dynamics stove looks good Uncle, only snag is you're the other side of the world...

Welcome on board by the way

Uncle-silas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 05 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Lincolnshire, where are you?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 05 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's in Essex, it's a world away...

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 05 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle-silas wrote:
I am in Lincolnshire, where are you?

Aha, I thought you were in sunny Oz

Blue Peter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 05 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tahir,

If I'm not mistaken, Uncle Silas is the same as Silas who's got the latest post on the AECB website.

Silas,

Are you a member of the AECB?

Peter.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 05 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been over there recently (too much going on there ) I'll check later

Blue Peter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 05 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silas,

With regard to the gourmet, a few questions:

Do you get a Clearskies grant?
How is it with children?
How does it compare with an Aga or Rayburn?

Peter.

Uncle-silas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 05 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tahir,

I sent my application for AECB this week, waiting for a reply.

Peter,

There are no grants for any cookstove in the clear sky list, if you want a clear sky approved boiler give me a shout I am a registered installer.

I am not sure what you mean, "how is it with children".... a small one would fit nicely inside!

A 15kw version costs about £2700, I think new Aga's start at about £5000

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 05 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle-silas wrote:
"how is it with children".... a small one would fit nicely inside!

Where are they made? (the stoves...)

Blue Peter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 05 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds reasonable. I take it that doesn't include fitting and flues and the like?

Re: the children remark, it was just the pictures of what I take can be quite a hot metal box standing in the kitchen, and then thinking about little prying hands

Peter.

Uncle-silas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 05 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stoves are made in Australia, by the man who used to be Aga's Asia pacific sales director, they now have 70% of the market down there.

They can get hot and a fire guard would be recomended if toddlers are around, and the price is without fitting, flues etc.

Regards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive