Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Woodburning stove installation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 08 8:33 pm    Post subject: Woodburning stove installation. Reply with quote

Help and advice is needed please.

We have got the plumbers fitting the new woodburner with back boiler this week.

This will run the heating and hot water during the winter months.

We also have an oil fired boiler, that has until now run the system.

A Dunsley neutralizer is being fitted to join the two systems.

What is the best way to wire the system. We do not have room stats, but in the summer we want to use the oil boiler to heat hot water.

Any ideas.

We think we know of some methods, just want to know the easiest, most efficient way.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 08 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With ours the CH pump is wired from the HW tank thermostat, so until the water in the tank is hot the pump won't divert the water around the radiators, The tank is above the fire so convection gets that job done.

Works fine for us.

RichardW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 08 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think you will have to have it done how they want or they wont sign the install off.

Justme

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 08 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there are a number of ways that it can be done, even looking at the installation instructions, we were just wondering which way was the most painless really.

chez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 08 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you talked to Dunsley themselves? I rang them up and had a good chat and they were really helpful. We haven't got ours put in yet, though, so I will be watching your progress with interest .

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 08 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself has gone out for a minute, but I will suggest that. The plumbers are back this afternoon.

dougal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 08 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:
With ours the CH pump is wired from the HW tank thermostat, so until the water in the tank is hot the pump won't divert the water around the radiators, The tank is above the fire so convection gets that job done.

Works fine for us.

Yes but you very likely need a pump to circulate through the oil-fired boiler when that's running... and you'd be wanting the hw tank thermostat to be able (like in high summer) to switch off the oil boiler...

I'm unfamiliar with these Neutralisers, (as opposed to using a thermal store to link various systems) and would be interested to hear about the install scheme - and how it works out in practice!

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 08 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't a clue about oil fired, I'm just saying how our woodburner is connected up.

chez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 08 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougal wrote:
I'm unfamiliar with these Neutralisers, (as opposed to using a thermal store to link various systems) and would be interested to hear about the install scheme - and how it works out in practice!

Apparently they have no moving parts, which sounds good - they are basically a big valve.

https://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/linkupsys.htm

Should feed your inner geek .

dougal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 08 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
dougal wrote:

Apparently they have no moving parts, which sounds good - they are basically a big valve.

Sure, that much (in theory) I follow, but what I don't understand is the detail of, for example, how/where you install the pump (or pumps), and what logic can provide system control (using the oil boiler) when you can't have valves on the solid fuel circuit.

I'm hoping to learn here about the practical detail.

Last edited by dougal on Thu Jan 17, 08 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total

RichardW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 08 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experiance of the H2 system?

https://www.h2panel.co.uk/

Justme

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 08 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
dougal wrote:

He has an inner geek, too?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive