links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Foraging Calendar
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 08 3:44 pm    Post subject: Foraging Calendar Reply with quote

Hi
I'm sure I have seen one of these somewhere, but I'm struggling to find it - does anyone have a link to a sort of foraging calendar, i.e. whats in season when?

thanks alot
Gav

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 08 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seasonal/monthly foraging articles in the Articles section of Downsizer

woodsprite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 08 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now theres a fabulous business idea! Especially if it comes with photos, latin and common names, habitat etc.
I'd buy some for pressies, anyone in a position to put something together? I'd be happy to go in with an expert to get one of these together and get them marketed.
Anyone?

woodsprite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 08 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about this, the more appealing it is.
Could this be the first published Downsizer calender? Could we get it together to have one ready for sale towards the end of this year?
Whaddya think guys?

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 08 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me? I think it's excellent, BUT we're not short of ideas, we're short of people that can turn them into realities.

I'd happily support anyone to do this but I'm up to my eyeballs at work and home right now

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 08 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the problem with a foraging calendar is that the seasons for/existence at all in your area of stuff varies so much depending on where you live.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 08 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but an approximation is better than nuffink

dougal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 08 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodsprite wrote:
Now theres a fabulous business idea! Especially if it comes with photos, latin and common names, habitat etc.
I'd buy some for pressies, anyone in a position to put something together? I'd be happy to go in with an expert to get one of these together and get them marketed.
Anyone?

Now, IIRC, that is/was Cab's original idea...

cab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 08 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
I think that the problem with a foraging calendar is that the seasons for/existence at all in your area of stuff varies so much depending on where you live.

Thats precisely why we haven't done a foraging calendar, the seasonal variations in Britain are simply massive.

cab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 08 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougal wrote:

Now, IIRC, that is/was Cab's original idea...

It was, but its a tough thing to get right with such seasonal variability.

We could do that, but it would take a big effort involving members all over the country.

I'm game, if others are too...

PeteS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 08 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cab wrote:
sean wrote:

Thats precisely why we haven't done a foraging calendar, the seasonal variations in Britain are simply massive.

And the regional variation - the difference between what you can find in say Scotland and the South of England is huge.

woodsprite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 08 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said at the top, I'd be happy to help out in anyway I can. I'm on the welsh borders. Hows about either 1 calender with regional sections or several regional calenders? Would that work?

cab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 08 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodsprite wrote:
As I said at the top, I'd be happy to help out in anyway I can. I'm on the welsh borders. Hows about either 1 calender with regional sections or several regional calenders? Would that work?

Might work.

Its something that came up when doing the wild food top tens, its amazing just how much variation there is. Maybe months as columns, with a list of species as rows, coloured in bits for when each is good. Those in the North will learn to look to the right hand side (later months), those in the South to the left (earlier).

Its been something we always should have been doing, but its been hard to pin down who and how.

Want to start off by compiling a species list? Say, 20 leafy forages, 20 fungi, 10 fruit, 10 shoreline?

woodsprite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 08 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okey dokey, although I'm no forgaging expert. I was rather hoping you would tell me what to look for and roughly when and then I could report back when it shows up locally. I'll happily do whatever I can. I think this could be a nice little earner for Downsizer . Be good to give summat back.

dougal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 08 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, just a reminder that Judy did something along these lines...
https://www.judyofthewoods.net/forage_uk.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive