About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Slugs!

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 05 11:43 am    Post subject: Slugs! Reply with quote

Just come back from the carboot sale brandishing a pot full of lovely lettuce seedlings ( a spotty red and green lollo rosso type). I know for a fact that if I put em in the veg patch they will be gone in less than 10 seconds, so I'm thinking a trough on a windowsill in eth courtyard may be the way to go. Trouble is, our slugs are pretty acrobatic around here. So- any good tried and tested anti slug tips for container grown lettuces?

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 05 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If possible stand container on a couple of bricks that are standing in something you can fill with water. The countainer stays dry and the slugs should not cross the water.

You could also try copper tape round the edge of the pot (details of where to get it quite cheaply are on here somewhere).

In both methods make sure nothing leans onto the pots or the slugs will be down in seconds. You also need to ensure they are not in the compost before you add the plants.

N.V.M.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 05 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-Toxic Slug Control

chrissy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 05 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've said it before but I do rate Bran Flakes Sally. I only used them for the first time last year as an experiment to keep slugs off my hostas. As you know slugs usually love hostas, but they were untouched. Not a single hole in sight, so I'm using them on the veg this year.

I have no idea how they acually work but who cares? Some vaseline around the edges of the pots should help too.

judith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 05 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my old slug garden, lollo rosso type lettuces were the only ones I could grow - the slugs didn't seem to like them as much as other things. You might just get away with it!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive