Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
gallery rifle comp.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 08 10:57 pm    Post subject: gallery rifle comp. Reply with quote

Our club ran a gallery rifle comp. tonight. And am proud to annouce that earthyvirgo came 4th out of 14. Great shooting EV.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 08 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one.

kevin.vinke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 08 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Well done

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 08 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to admit am feeling a little smug about it
Most unlike me.

VP didn't mention the scores

1st - 240
VP - 236
3rd - 234
EV - 206

Not bad for a girlie eh?.

EV

kevin.vinke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 08 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthyvirgo wrote:

EV

In our club the best and most consistent shots are the women plus they shoot the most accurate 10´s.

I´m not familiar with Gallery. What were you shooting ? Range and firing position?

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 08 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.357 underlever
I think it's a Marlin, Vegplot will correct I'm sure if not.

Comp was;

50 yards - 10 rounds in 8 mins including loading
25 yards - 10 rounds in 2 mins including loading
25 yards - 5 rounds in 25 seconds which was a bit tight

EV

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 08 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin.vinke wrote:
earthyvirgo wrote:

EV

In our club the best and most consistent shots are the women plus they shoot the most accurate 10´s.

Quite. Girlies are generally a better shot as they have a softer touch which means less digression betwen where you aim and where it goes.
Men, however, and bigger, heavier and stringer, which means less effect from the recoil.
It's all swingy roundabouts.

Brownbear

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 08 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame Bear had the makings of a superb rifle shot - sadly she wasn't interested and gave up.

kevin.vinke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 08 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the whole family signed up kids shoot light point and air rifle at 10m. We´re on air rifle in the winter months and then .22LR 50m. Sadly nothing bigger but I´m hoping to get into .303 Lee Enfield this year 100m and 300m if the new club starts up.

BTW it´s an excellent way of integrating with the locals.

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 08 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthyvirgo wrote:
.357 underlever
I think it's a Marlin, Vegplot will correct I'm sure if not.

Comp was;

50 yards - 10 rounds in 8 mins including loading
25 yards - 10 rounds in 2 mins including loading
25 yards - 5 rounds in 25 seconds which was a bit tight

EV

Gallery rifle is any underlever rifle (for those not in the know an underlever rifle is the same type John Wayne would use in a cowboy film, often called a 'Winchester' whether it is one or not).

Gallery rfile shooting became popular after the hand gun ban in 1997, with 1000's of shooters either leaving the sport or taking up black powder pistol and/or underlever rifle shooting. The ban, incidently, has resulted in British target pistol shooters having to train abroad, in Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man.

Myself and EV use a Marlin 1895C (1895 being the year of design, the rifle itself is modern) firing .357 Magnum ammunition. Others use a variety of calibre including .38 special, .44 Magnum and 45-70. I reload using a less powerful load than factory ammunition for improved accuracy and comfort of shooting.

We shoot indoors in a converted pair of disused railway tunnels each being 100 yards. One was 475 yds but a legal issue over land lease resulted in it being made shorter.

We hold half a dozen underlever rifle comps a year and they are very popular being great fun and none takes the competitve aspect particularly seriously.

vegplot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 08 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin.vinke wrote:
We have the whole family signed up kids shoot light point and air rifle at 10m. We´re on air rifle in the winter months and then .22LR 50m. Sadly nothing bigger but I´m hoping to get into .303 Lee Enfield this year 100m and 300m if the new club starts up.

BTW it´s an excellent way of integrating with the locals.

Absolutely. EV until recently was dead against any form of firearm but now enjoys it, and she's good. Families are encouraged as it is good fun and also a way of getting people to have a healthy respect for a potentially lethal weapon.

If the street kids from Manchester and other inner city areas were exposed to a gun club at an ealry stage then I'm sure we'd see far less illegal use of guns on the street and the macho gun culture that goes with it. But that's another topic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive