links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Phew, thats a weight off my mind

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 04 6:27 pm    Post subject: Phew, thats a weight off my mind Reply with quote

One of the big issues with PCs is backups, as if you use a lot of software it is a nightmare getting it all reinstalled.

I have had a particular nightmare as I have been trying to maintain an Ingres Database server under windows, and whilst I am licenced to use it, if the licencing system ever break, as it has done in the past, it was going to be a total bummer of an issue finding someone in a monolithic organisation like Computer Associates to relicence it for me. As I would have to convince them of a quite complicated story.

Over the wekend I noticed that it all seemed to have died again

But today i have managed to get out the game by installing Ingres Open Source under Linux, and getting my Windows software to work with it

I think this means I may have two PC's for sale! This issue is so important to me earming a living I simply had to keep a spare "clone" of the windows PC

jema

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive