About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Lettuce... What next?
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much sun do they actually need? I've got a shady patch which I need to do something with.

moggins

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I'll get some more in this afternoon.

The soil is lovely, almost like compost and so easy to turn over, just the kind of stuff that's fun to get your hands into.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

)
Judith wrote:
WW: Little Gem has been around a long time - perhaps you have the same seeds from different suppliers. Otherwise dunno! To me it is a small, crunchy and densely-packed little lettuce. Don't know how else to describe it.

My mistake - its tom thumb I'm thinking of (brain fried due to putting together a presentation on the importance of sleep, when the dogs threw up twice in the night )

cab

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twoscoops wrote:
How much sun do they actually need? I've got a shady patch which I need to do something with.

Shady will do, but I'd say that you're better with at least SOME sun. If I have a dark-ish spot for lettuce then I grow a green variety, the reds all come out rather muted if you grow them with insufficient light.

cab

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moggins wrote:

The soil is lovely, almost like compost and so easy to turn over, just the kind of stuff that's fun to get your hands into.

So the only remainng question is keeping the mice off...

Can you go to a pet grooming place and try dog or cat hair?

twoscoops

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I might try a test sowing there this week. Rocket is pretty rampant so that may be the one to go for.

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherwood is supposed to be nice...I'm expecting some from T&M soon (only because they were half price).

I find a lot of the red ones quite bitter, but it could be the fact that our very dry soil takes more watering than I have life and heart to give it in order to make them grow quickly. This year we're trying to grow a lot of salads in containers and that seems to be working much better.

cab

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the reds can be a little bitter, but that all depends on which ones. I like lollo ross for that reason, it's a little bitter and a good contrast for sweet lettuce.

Some of the red ones are a bit less bitter; oakleaf isn't as bitter as lollo rosso, and freckles (red spots on a green background) adds colour and is fairly sweet. It's fussier than some, though, and needs lots of light to get its freckles.

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, I've also got some bronze arrow from the HDRA this year. I intend to let some of it go to seed (if I can) so there should be plenty to hand around for next year.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lettuce goes to seed real easy, just stop watering and leave it to flower, it's harvesting the seed that's a problem, I don't know which species but there's a catterpillar that loves lettuce seed, mine are usually covered in 'em, green with a faint yellow stripe.

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
just stop watering

That's handy because that's one of my strongest gardening skills

I can't decide if I've never heard of the caterpillars, or if I've seen them. Hmm. One to look out for anyway, cheers Tahir (if there were several of you, that would be poetry).

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grow all of my lettuce in containers and restrict myself to cut and come again varieties which I have found really useful as we never lose any to mice etc... We have tried many varieties including things like land cress etc..

nettie

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grow Salad Bowl and rocket in seed trays in the greenhouse, starting off new trays every fortnight or so. They stay in there so don't get munched by anyone except me!

Bernie66

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 05 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never works for me that, i always end up with a glut even if i do sow every month or so. they always seem to catch up with each other in the ground

Nanny

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 05 9:49 am    Post subject: lettuce Reply with quote

i am the same, start them in modules, then into 3 inch pots and then into the ground and use a variety pack so have a lot of choice and colour

it seems like the slugs etc leave the plants alone if they are bigger when they go in.....

and what goes to seed for me, the goats eat so i never lose out by haveing too many

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive