links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Starting Lure Fishing

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 05 10:00 am    Post subject: Starting Lure Fishing Reply with quote

I've just read through Leebu's great lure fishing article from here: https://www.downsizer.net/Projects/Wild_Food/Starting_Lure_Fishing/

Aimed at people like me, new to fishing, it's a good introduction. It's especially useful as I've just got a couple of rods and a selection of lures from Lidl. (A large selection of fishing tackle including many different lures and forceps for under £10 ).

A couple of questions. I'd have thought some local fish clubs would be pleased for people to try and fish for pike. Does anyone know if this is the case or am I being daft? My only attempt at lure fishing is spinning for mackerel, have you tried that?

leebu

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 05 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fisheries are pleased- but not many. Pike fishing is on the up and fishery owners are wise to it. Your best best would be to try places geared up to big carp and cat fish. Good luck! Tp be honest though I'd just get down to your local river, once the season opens again.
I've only ever tried spinning for bass in the sea and didn't have much luck really. The water is too coloured round our way and I think (not an expert on this) that bass are sight feeders mainly. That's my excuse for not catching anyway! Hoping to go boat fishing later this year, that might change my luck.

leebu

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 05 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way Treac' if you do want to buy more lures (and why wouldn't you?) a friend of mine made an excellent point the other day. The lure shack is very good and I've used them alot but you're best off importing from America, with exchange rate as it is currently it works out far cheaper and the selection over there is more extensive anyway. Just a thought.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 05 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article, one on sea fishing lures would be a great companion to it.

shaun

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 05 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the article and just want to say thanks. I too am about to start fishing and fancied starting with lures.

leebu

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 05 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonnyboy wrote:
Good article, one on sea fishing lures would be a great companion to it.

I agree but it won't be by me! I just spent three hours freezing my toes off throwing every lure I could at the bass around Hornsea with very little to show for it (except possibly frost bite.) I would appreciate any info on sea fishing generally. Although I did manage to catch 6 bass last weekend. One of them I took back for my tea- best afternoon's fishing for quite some time, but I could easily have doubled that if I'd known what I was doing. I keep missing bites is the problem. Think I should start another thread....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive