Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Introducing new chickens after fox attack

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 05 11:30 am    Post subject: Introducing new chickens after fox attack Reply with quote

Hi guys,

2 of our chickens (Chicky and Po as my daughter calls them) were killed by a fox last night, leaving 2 others (just, thanks to my speed in getting out to the coop). We'd like to get some pullets (16 week old) to replace them but have heard differing stories as to when is the best time to introduce them. I know our remaining 2 are quite stressed at the moment, but thought it might be best to get some new chickens straight away while the pecking order is unstable

Andy B

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 05 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would sort the fox problem first otherwise you could be lining up some more free dinners for it.

timneva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 05 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh..... That was my fault. Accidentally left the poor things in an open Pen. As long as the door is locked, they're ok.

Cheers,
Tim

judith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 05 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the fox attack.

I think you are probably right about introducing younger birds while the pecking order is up in the air - as long as the survivors don't appear too traumatised. If they are back doing the usual chickeny things, then I would go for it with the new pullets.

Gertie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 05 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim -

Sorry to hear about your chickens. I am new to chicken keeping myself but I agree with what the others have said, make it harder for the fox to get your birds and then get some new ones while the pecking order is unstable.

Ah, I hope your daughter isn't too distressed about the loss of the chickens

p.s. Welcome to the site. Hope you keep in touch and let us know how you get on with your chickens

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 05 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would introduce them now too.

Check the pen is really secure as the fox will definately come back with a vengence now it has had success once.

timneva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 05 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I think you've sold us. We'll get some new chickens on the weekend. Our remaining chickens appear ok, although, understandably, they didn't lay for the first couple of days. They are back to an egg a day each now though and seem more settled. I'll let you know how we go. Greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Tim

timneva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 05 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...We're going to try and trap the fox too. Any ideas???

Lloyd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 05 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snares must be checked several times a day, but why not leave a bird out deliberately, and sit quietly in wait, with a shotgun or rifle, zeroed to the correct range. That's assuming you have access to them of course. Or larger cage traps, using cat food as bait, then take it to the rehoming centre / vet / local shooter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive