Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Polystyrene packing chips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 05 5:19 pm    Post subject: Polystyrene packing chips Reply with quote

Aargh, just tried to collapse down this weeks load of packing boxes for the compost, and am left with a bin bag full of those polystyrene packing chips. I reuse as many as I can when sending things on, but i always get more than I can use. Does anyone have any brilliant ideas for these beyond putting them in the bin, I'm pretty sure they don't recycle this type of polystyrene round here.

Lozzie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 05 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyone nearby you know of who uses packaging - say, a local artist or potter - someone who has delicate things that need protection when being stored or transported? Anyone who runs an antiques business, or mail-order?

They make good Christmas tree decorations when strung like popcorn onto thread.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 05 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, I'll ask the local freecycle if anyone needs them

dougal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 05 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, and a few other, did suggest a couple of things on an earlier thread
https://forum.downsizer.net/about1890.html

Or could you maybe just use larger boxes for your outgoing shipments?

Cashew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 05 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are good for drainage in pots. The thought of them fills me with dread, though, when I moved into my hse the prev owner - a seller of costume jewelry - left a box of poly chips in the garden.

I awoke one morning to wonder why it was 'snowing' in May. I still find them in the soil even though I've been there more than 10 yrs

tawny owl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 05 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougal wrote:
I, and a few other, did suggest a couple of things on an earlier thread
https://forum.downsizer.net/about1890.html

Lots of good ideas on this. I remember, though, opening a box full of those biodegradable packing things (I presume the maize starch - smelt exactly like Cheesy Puff snacks), which contained frozen items; the condensation had soaked into the packing bits, and I shoved my hands into what felt like ice-cold porridge! Urrggh.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 05 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

local school or nursery would use tham in art and craft projects too.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 05 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of thing you might be able to offer on a LETs scheme too - just that they are the sort of people who might have a use for them rather than getting much for them, I mean. You could try local shops too.

Riverflow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 05 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tawny owl wrote:
I remember, though, opening a box full of those biodegradable packing things (I presume the maize starch - smelt exactly like Cheesy Puff snacks)

They do not, repeat, DO NOT, taste like the aforementioned snacks. I had a box delivered filled with them the other year. Smelled good. Had a couple of beers and thought I'd give it a try.

Col

judith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 05 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for carrying out that important research for us! I had wondered myself...

tawny owl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 05 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riverflow wrote:
They do not, repeat, DO NOT, taste like the aforementioned snacks. I had a box delivered filled with them the other year. Smelled good. Had a couple of beers and thought I'd give it a try.

Mmm, yes, we had tried them previously (when they'd arrived in a dry box). Cardboardy, with a sort of mouldy undertone (in best Jilly Goolden voice).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive