Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
How to dispose of a broken dishwasher in 15 mins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 08 4:51 pm    Post subject: How to dispose of a broken dishwasher in 15 mins Reply with quote

our dishwasher broke down for the 3rd time about 3 months ago and we decided not to get it repaired again but as it was out of the way in the conservatory and made a useful resting place we left it there until tonight.
We moved it out of its home and trundles it through to the front garden intending to load it in the car in the morning and take it to the tip, well that was 15 mins ago and someone has just rang on the door, asked if it was rubbish and said he would take it away for free, so its gone in under 15 mins, normally they ask to be paid to take it away but he is going to get the money from the scrap value.
Result as far as i am concerned it saves my back taking it to the tip

yummersetter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 08 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This heralds the return of the rag-and-bone man.

" ANY OLD IR ON "

Silas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 08 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Grandad was a rag and bone man.

mihto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 08 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a "Large Garbage Day" twice a year. The stuff people put out to throw away is a bleeding shame. Untill now things disappeared in the dark of the night. With all the Eastern Europeans working here things now disappear in full daylight. Good for them!

Last Garbage Day a neighbour had put out a perfectly good glass-topped table, which new cost about £ 300. When I saw it I stopped my car, had a few choice things to say and loaded the table into my car. In broad daylight.

It now resides in Bergen. That's scrap value as far as I'm concerned!

Slim

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 08 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picking up free goodies on the curb is quite common here. It's amazing what we've gotten rid of just by sticking it out on the front lawn with a free sign.

There are also some funny stories regarding lawn mowers being left out front whilst gas was being fetched in the back, only to discover an overeager-free-stuff-seeker

gnome

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 08 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone is behind the times - scrap metal prices at the moment are only £10 per tonne. Way down on the £150 per tonne earlier this year.

Rob R

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 08 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnome wrote:
someone is behind the times - scrap metal prices at the moment are only £10 per tonne. Way down on the £150 per tonne earlier this year.

He's not forced to have taken it straight away.

2steps

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 08 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have someone who comes round collecting metal for scrap. Got rid of a few things that way, including an old washing machine
Quite often see things in people's front garden with a 'free' sign on too. never saw either till we moved here

fisheagle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 08 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down yer when us have no use for anything us normally just trundles it out the front, puts a nice little sticker on it saying something like "free to a good home" couple of hours later its gone!! Mind you its got to be be reasonable, the Cornish don't take rubbish, us leaves that to the English!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive