Latest Articles
Sea fishing bait
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 09 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mackerel or squid from the supermarket.

mihto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 09 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of fish are you after? Any kind of raw fish will generally do this time of the year. So will lures and feathers. If I had the chance to fishing go by boat in January I would use a line with a huge (250 G) lure at the end and go staight to the sea bottom. Along the line would be 8-10 smaller lures or feathers. You have more fish species than us. I would try for cod or pollock. Not sure how you catch other kinds.

Tvi, tvi. Skit fiske!!

happytechie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 09 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slivers of makerel are great bait we used to use them with the shiny bit of skin attached on a white feather for cod and pollack.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 09 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon the luminous ones would be good for pollack at this time of year with a sliver of mackerel on the hook.

crofter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 09 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find mussels or limpets on the beach, they are sometimes good. Or just use a spinner/artificial lure. You may have a chance of catching a flatfish (turbot, plaice etc) if it is a soft bottom and you are not afraid of losing your gear. They will be coming into shallow water to breed soon, may be a few inshore already.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 09 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish for bait should be ultra fresh (use a bit of first caught )
pollack will take lures (rubber worm,small spoon ,feathers )
i would hope a thumb sized lask of mackeral with skin would attract many fish ,putting it on a spinning spoon gives extra yummyness
from personal experiance shell fish are not very effective(eat the bait and go spinning ) but a £5 wrap of live worms, from the mud or from the local fishing kit shop will work a treat for many types of inshore fish
squid can be good ,the "party squid"tiny ones frozen in blocks and baited several at a time to cover the hook are good sometimes

pollack like live or seeming live "dinner "

if you can get some frozen sand eels spin them and they can work a treat or be utterly useless depending on the competition from the live local ones

some call pollack poor mans cod but i recon it has a better flavour and grilled it is ace

IanNW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 09 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fresh Mackeral (not cleaned and gutted)
Squid
Lug or Ragworm Fresh or Frozen (if frozen put into a bowl and soak in boiling water overnight to rehydrate) seems to work well for codling, and whiting this time of year.
Lures and spinners seem to work well for pollack and mackeral.
Peeler crab is also excellent bait for cod if you can find/buy some.

Never used sand eels so can not comment on how good they are.

ragged staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 09 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frozen sand eel can be an excellent bait but needs to be presented right. Bait elastic is usefull for keeping it neatly on the hook.

It can be purchased from most tackle shops even those in land, just keep it frozen and take it out a few hours before needed .

have fun

Moniar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 09 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cant go wrong with strips of mackeral or small strips of squid. If you can find some peeler or softee crab under any rocks, that is very good for cod, bass and most flat fish.

This time of year, fishing off my kayak, I tend to use the same artificial small multi coloured shrimp traces around the North wales coastline - killer set up for coalfish and pollack as well as whiting. Often the chance of early mackeral around here in certain inshore spots where they turn up first. For codling, I use larger red shrimp lures. I also put small bits of mackeral, squid or frozen black lugworm on the artificial shrimp rigs - excellent in summer months for the wrasse, and black bream.

Another couple of months and the weather will be fitter to dig some nice fat blow lugworm and hunt for the peeling crab under the rocks whilst out walking with the spaniels - crab can be frozen for use next winter for the codling.

Stewy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 09 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a Thornback Moniar?

Moniar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 09 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stewy wrote:
Is that a Thornback Moniar?

Yes it is Stewy - my first one ever, caught last spring off the island here.

Hoping for some bigger ones this spring as my mates caught them up to 12lb that same day but mine was a baby at around 4lb, but still gave a good fight on the light rod I was using.

All returned quickly after unhooking, as dont want thornbacks to be overfished like skate were. I do fish for food mainly but I dont take fish which are in danger of being overfished, such as thornbacks or this nice 9lb smooth hound caught in 2007 (again my first ever)

Good family fun is had in the tandem kayak - for the mackeral in a few months. Heres one of Welsh Veg Grower's first mackeral:

vegplot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 09 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to get an outboard for the dory, or a replacement kayak, or both. Which ever way we do intend on getting out on the water to fish around Anglesey.

Mr O

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 09 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get around the back of RAF Valley and fish in the bay there, it is great for thornbacks, gurnard, and mackerel. Good for Bass too on the right night and tide. Cwmran bay I think it is called.

Mr O

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 09 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Pollack from around the power station.

Moniar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 09 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
I'll have to get an outboard for the dory, or a replacement kayak, or both. Which ever way we do intend on getting out on the water to fish around Anglesey.

Just borrow our tandem kayak - just the job and nice and stable

Mr O - yes know those spots well. Cymyran is good for turblot and flounder too at certain times of year plus small eyed rays

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive