Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
introduction to jams and preserves
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 12:44 pm    Post subject: introduction to jams and preserves Reply with quote

would anyone be interested in giving us a straightforward "principles of making jam" guide (things like do you use ripe, underripe, overripe fruit...can it be the bruised stuff from the market at 5pm or does it need to be your top stuff); what's a jam, what's a jelly, which fruits need jam sugar or other additives to get them to set, what equipment do you need, and a couple of very simple recipes for easily found stuff (raspberry, strawberry etc).

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if the idea of an article scares you off - we could make it another collective effort. Just answer any of the above questions or answer the question - I've never made jam before but I've got a basket of strawberries from the market, what shall I do next?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, I wouldn't start with strawberries if I were you. Strawberrry jam is 'difficult'. But if you really want to, weigh them and go and buy the same weight of sugar.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 12:58 pm    Post subject: jam / jelly basics Reply with quote

hi Bugs and everyone

yes, I'd be up for contributing to a resource like that. my main area of interest is jelly from wild fruit (i.e. free stuff) for eating on toast or with savoury food (elderberry jelly with nut roast, for instance), but I do make jam and marmalade as well. have just been making rhubarb with a hint of ginger jam, also a full-on rhubarb with loads of ginger. have jam-making notebooks going back ....

Bugs - I'm not so skilled at strawberry - have rarely managed to make it set well (it's a difficult one becuase of lack of pectin). Try using some lemon juice to add pectin, but not too much. You could also try using 'jam sugar' (which has added pectin). But if the jam gets eaten fast, and you're not entereing it for an agricultural how or a womens institute competition, the set is not so crucial.

time running out on public access computer. must go. do get in contact if I can contribute something.

cheers
g

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not start with blackberry?, freely available to all, in season in a couple of months, easy to make and usually a success.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon that for a beginner raspberry is the best. It's the finest of all jams anyway, and a doddle to make.

judith

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
. It's the finest of all jams anyway

That's fighting talk, that is!

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: jam / jelly basics Reply with quote

gbst wrote:
my main area of interest is jelly from wild fruit (i.e. free stuff) for eating on toast or with savoury food (elderberry jelly with nut roast, for instance), but I do make jam and marmalade as well. have just been making rhubarb with a hint of ginger jam, also a full-on rhubarb with loads of ginger. have jam-making notebooks going back ....

Sounds excellent

cab

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strawberry jam is a doddle.

Weigh the strawberries. Add strawberries to the pan. Weigh it, add a little water. Cook down to a pulp.

Let it cool enough to weigh it again, and add water to make up to the same weight you started with.

Add sugar (use jam sugar with added pectin), a squeeze of lemon, a little butter (a tiny bit to prevent scum), cook till setting point, and jar it.

cab

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: jam / jelly basics Reply with quote

gbst wrote:
hi Bugs and everyone

yes, I'd be up for contributing to a resource like that.

Excellent, well volounteered

If you want any help or recipes, holled on the forum and someone will help out.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judith wrote:
sean wrote:
. It's the finest of all jams anyway

That's fighting talk, that is!

No it isn't, it's just the truth. Eventually the apricot and strawberry and whatever heretics will be crushed beneath the wheels of the mighty raspberry juggernaut.
Or someone could start a poll. If it's posted now it should be nicely onto Tahir and Jonnyboy's sexuality by Friday.

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
If it's posted now it should be nicely onto Tahir and Jonnyboy's sexuality by Friday.

Listen, that's been sorted I'm all man, and his best friends are sheep.

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charming as they both are, and in spite of the fact that two intelligent lovely women have clearly seen *something* in them, I really don't need an image of JB, Tahir and an an assortment of jams in my mind just after lunch.

Pardon them, gbst. Would you be willing to knock us up a quick guide to jams, aimed at beginners (if you want to cover more that would be great too, especially your favourite wild fruits, but I'd really like it to encourage newcomers to have a go)? If you are making any and can do digital pictures we'd be hugely grateful, but I could probably get some off other people as well just to give some illustration.

We could use it almost as soon as it's ready really because it is so topical. But if I'm being pushy and you don't have time to do it please do say and I'll slink off and stalk someone else

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 1:48 pm    Post subject: jam etc resource Reply with quote

yes, i've got loads of time now i've chucked in my job - apart from dealing with mad meadow and weeding the Forth Road Bridge.

seriously ,yes,I'd like to, and if I produce an outline and basics, I'll send it to - who ? where? and other folk can contribute too.

youse could try making rhubarb jam or variants - it's the best time of year for it now (after June is past,and before it goes shot), as follows :

Beforehand
1. Pick rhubarb(any size of stalk, whoppers are fine), and cut the leaves off the stems and discard.
2. Weigh it and go buy the same weight of sugar (3lb fruit is a good batch size)
3. put your rhubarb in a cool place for a week to dry a bit and firm up
4. Cut into inch lengths and put into big china / stainless pans / bowls and cover with the sugar. add the juice of a lemon per pound of fruit.
5. leave overnight (the sugar melts)

Jam day (instructions to follow.. I'll bring my recipe book in and post later this week...
1. warm the fruit/sugar/juice mix until the sugar is fully dissolved
2. boil / heat to setting point (i usually find this can take about a hour for 3lb)
proceed as usual kind of thing

cheers
g

judith

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g, how did you know that I just picked a large pile of rhubarb and was wondering what to do with it?
Thanks for the recipe!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive