links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
How much for rabbit / deer proof fencing
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 09 10:22 am    Post subject: How much for rabbit / deer proof fencing Reply with quote

How much should I expect to pay for rabbit proof fencing? and for that matter how much for deer proof fencing?

(we have two possible allotment sites, both have rabbits but one is also next to a deer park)

Marts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 09 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is exactly what you are after, but I noticed this in my screwfix catalogue the other day and it seemed quite cheap compared to similar stuff i've seen - the 25mm hole size is cheaper than the 13mm version.

Galvanised wire netting

They also have packs of panels of welded wire mesh

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 09 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had quotes between £9.98 and £ 25.00 p/mtr. WE took the £9.98 quote, Richard who quoted £16 was impressed with the job.

Problem is though that you need to walk the fence regularly to make sure it's not been undermined anywhere.

Jb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 09 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
We had quotes between £9.98 and £ 25.00 p/mtr.

Was that for someone else to do the work? We're planning on doing the labour ourselves.

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 09 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was supply & fit

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 09 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this for the whole allotment site, or just your plot ?

Does the deer park already have deer=proof fencing ?

When costing the materials for rabbit=proof, you'll need :

Strainers [big posts] at each corner, and wherever the line of the fence changes direction; also at gates.
Stobs [ordinary -sized fence posts] every 2 metres
2 struts to each strainer
ordinary fencing netting and staples to fix it to the posts
rabbit net for the bottom of the fence, and to be dug into the ground [staples for that, too]
plain or barbed wire (1 row) for the top of the fence

Jb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 09 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gil wrote:
Is this for the whole allotment site, or just your plot ?

Whole site. To do a single plot would need about 60m of fencing. To do 20 plots needs about 200m of fencing. So we'll do the whole lot.

gil wrote:
Does the deer park already have deer=proof fencing ?

It did about a century ago and while it might be their responsibilty getting them to put in several miles of deer proof fencing won't happen.

gil wrote:
When costing the materials for rabbit=proof, you'll need :

... Stobs [ordinary -sized fence posts] every 2 metres
... ordinary fencing netting and staples to fix it to the posts
rabbit net for the bottom of the fence, and to be dug into the ground
plain or barbed wire (1 row) for the top of the fence

I'd costed this up on the basis of a post every 3m but with a stout top wire (not barbed, barbed wire where there is public access is worth avoiding) and some of this, rather than a combination. Should get the price down to £2 - £3 / m. You really think you'd need a post every 2m?

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 09 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, maybe between 2-3m between every post.

Agree re plain wire in public areas, not barb.
Not come across fencing done entirely with rabbit net - the combination method is what gets used here commercially - assumed it was cheaper.

Jb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 09 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gil wrote:
OK, maybe between 2-3m between every post.

Agree re plain wire in public areas, not barb.
Not come across fencing done entirely with rabbit net - the combination method is what gets used here commercially - assumed it was cheaper.

The recommendation I had found was make the fencing 3ft high and 6" buried which means that rabbit netting (not including posts etc.) is about £1 / m. The combination would cost about £1.15 / m. Though that would allow us to go deeper and higher. OTOH the larger rabbit netting (1.2m width) would cost about £1.80 / m. So a combination might be the way to go just to give a bit of leeway on the height and depth.

gil
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 09 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're trying to keep deer out as well, your fence will need to be 6' : much longer stobs and strainers, and wider [ordinary] net.

I see how you're planning it with digging in the bottom 6" of the [rabbit] net. So your fence will be about 2'6" - deffo won't keep deer out !

I reckon it's done with a combination here because it is sheep/cattle stockproof as well as rabbitproof - hence the need for 3' net + rabbit net at the bottom + a line wire at the top

Jb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 09 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gil wrote:
I see how you're planning it with digging in the bottom 6" of the [rabbit] net. So your fence will be about 2'6" - deffo won't keep deer out !

Strangely enough this plan was for the non deer affllicted site. No idea at all where to start with deer proof fencing.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 09 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB wrote:
gil wrote:

Strangely enough this plan was for the non deer affllicted site. No idea at all where to start with deer proof fencing.

For deer is this any help?

https://handbooks.btcv.org.uk/handbooks/content/section/3314

And for rabbits:

https://handbooks.btcv.org.uk/handbooks/content/section/3315

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 09 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB wrote:

It did about a century ago and while it might be their responsibilty getting them to put in several miles of deer proof fencing won't happen.

You might try approaching the owners of the deer park & ask them nicely to contribute to the cost of the fencing?
It's there responsibility to keep their stock from straying so if the cost of fencing the park is prohibitive the least they can do is say pay for the materials?
Just a thought.

katie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 09 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deer that roam across our land can clear 6ft with ease. We've given up trying to keep them out and just try and keep them away from the bits we REALLY don't want them on.

Bluedog

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 09 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McVeighParker supplied me deernetting at about £120 a roll, with rabbit nettng at about £22 quid......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive