Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
stinkhorn (warning explicit picture)

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 05 6:05 am    Post subject: stinkhorn (warning explicit picture) Reply with quote

not really foraging (although I believe the unopened "egg" is edible ) but we came across loads of these on Sunday, the smell goes for miles and probably accounts for a lot of those mysterious rotting corpse smells you get in the country.

Have some bad pics on my phone which I'm trying to work out how to get on here without forking out 40p a shot to email them!

(PS not absolutely sure which stinkhorn as haven't looked up - pure white with a textured top rather than a brown one).

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 05 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've warned you about the picture so here goes:

Last edited by Treacodactyl on Sun Sep 25, 05 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

nettie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 05 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are truly disgusting and you can smell the blimmin' things a mile off

Years ago, when i first started foraging, I once picked a half rotted one to take to my friend for identification, wondering if it was a morel (you can see where I was coming from - the brown wrinkly top bit!!) It was nearly an hour before I returned my haul to the house, i thought I'd trodden in a dead cat or something on the way

Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 05 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit I was nearly sick leaning close to take the picture. I hope you lot appreciate the sacrifices I make in the name of your education.

And we found them by smell, too...

cab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 05 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, yes, stinkhorns. Many Victorian texts show them pictured upside down to avoid shocking people.

Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 05 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked them up last night and one book said "it is an interesting although antisocial experiment to "hatch" the egg in, this only takes a few hours when placed under a glass".

That would be rather fun although you might want to do it in the garden.

ButteryHOLsomeness

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 05 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
I have to admit I was nearly sick leaning close to take the picture. I hope you lot appreciate the sacrifices I make in the name of your education.

And we found them by smell, too...

hmmmm occasionally i smell something that is quite like skunk but since you don't have skunks in the uk i have always wondered what it was... i think i know now

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive