Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Roll-away nest boxes / egg eating ...

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 09 7:00 pm    Post subject: Roll-away nest boxes / egg eating ... Reply with quote

I mentioned roll-away nest boxes on another thread about egg eating ages and ages ago and then couldn't find the link I'd seen. There's something similar here - a thingy for four quid that you stick in the bottom of your own nest box.

Just thought it might be of interest given the recent egg-eating problems some people have been having.

Mary-Jane

Location: The Fishing Strumpet is from Ceredigion in West Wales
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 09 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's a good idea...

resistance is fertile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 09 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for this. You have just saved me a load of complications in the work Im facing adapting BB's Pig arks to double up as Poultry houses!

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 09 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid question Just how do they work? Where do you put them? Do the hens lay in them?

chez

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 09 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you pop them in the bottom of your nest box for the hen to sit in, with the shute-thingy pointing out the back (or the front) to an area the hens can't get their sticky little beaks in to. And you tilt them a bit so the egg gently rolls away as it shoots out.

It's a bit like the hen equivalent of stirrups .

Mrs Baggins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 09 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh... now THAT looks like a really good investment for my egg-pecking little witches!

They are having going thru a really bad phase of it right now... I am going to SCRUB out their house tomorrow to try to reduce the smell and have bought some fake eggs.

They are TERRIBLE tho... no shame... they do it while I'm in there telling them to piggin' stop it and they are like things possessed in a Lord of the Flies type of way...

They are happy tho. What you gonna do?

Bebo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 09 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs Baggins wrote:

Chicken soup?

resistance is fertile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 09 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it youve tried putting english mustard in a opened shell? Left in the nest box for them to find.

Its always worked for us, you will normally find the culprits over by the drinker!! and they tend to go off te whole thing

Lorrainelovesplants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 09 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the roll away nest box inserts - I bought these - they fit into the Solway nest box system. they are fairly robust and easy to clean.

The trouble with the whole nest box system is that my hens want to sleep in there, so I have (after a months trial) removed them from the house and are modifying the fold up/down perch to act as a closure so that at night the little shits cant go in to sleep and crap all over them. The other down point is that to remove them for cleaning you have to remove from the back, which necessitates taking the whole thing off the wall!

In a month I had 4 eggs laid in them (not a success)
Marks out of ten - 5 (perhaps its my hens)

Mrs Baggins

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 09 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bebo wrote:
Mrs Baggins wrote:

Chicken soup?

Or a nice curry...

resistance is fertile wrote:
I take it youve tried putting english mustard in a opened shell? Left in the nest box for them to find.

Its always worked for us, you will normally find the culprits over by the drinker!! and they tend to go off te whole thing

Ahh now THAT is a good idea... I was going to put some on fake eggs but on pecked shells might be better... thx!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive