Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Ever heard of black cuts berries ?

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 05 2:42 pm    Post subject: Ever heard of black cuts berries ? Reply with quote

I'm not sure but I think they are bilberries (Or very close) my parents used to pick them over in Ireland (Cork) and they think they are one and the same but I wanted to know if anyone else has heard the term ? or if there some very regional terminology (Which I wouldn' rule out !!!)

cab

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 05 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of it... What kind of place did they grow in?

JonO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 05 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As best I remember we used to pick them from hedgerows, but they were low lying bushes within the hedges, pretty similar looking to bilberries (as I said they may be one and the same !)

cab

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 05 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a whole load of related species referred to as bilberry, and of all of the wild fruits there aren't any that have got more regional names. I wouldn't be at all surpsised if the one you mention turned out to be either a bilberry or a bog bilberry, they seem the most likely candidates. I'd be curious to know if you find out for sure, though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive