Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Beef & Blewit Stew (submitted by Cab)

Author 

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 09 8:49 am    Post subject: Beef & Blewit Stew (submitted by Cab) Reply with quote

Ingredients

• 2lb stewing beef

• 3/4lb field blewits (a common late autumn and winter mushroom, VERY tasty and aromatic)

• Stock vegetables

• Stock

• Red Wine

• Herbs (bay, thyme and parsley; the Holy Trinity, in my opinion).

• Salt and pepper.

Recipe

1. Chop and brown the stock veg

2. Add the beef and brown before de-glazing the pan with red wine to cover half of the meat

3. Add stock to cover the meat up to two-thirds, then added the blewits (safe in the knowledge that water coming out of them would make enough fluid). Added the herbs, bunged in the oven (170ish) for two hours.

4. Pour off a little of the sauce, taste it, and thicken it with flour and butter before adding it back in to make the whole thing nice and thick. Adjust the seasoning and put it back in for another hour.

Comments

Served with carrots (steamed through in the oven with a little butter and ginger) and fresh bread out of the machine.

Blewits make this dish quite extremely aromatic, they have a superb flavour quite unlike most other mushrooms. Next time I do this I\'ll be adding some junper berries too, they go with blewits very nicely.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipe Database All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive