Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Bees Knees Cream Tea

Author 

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 09 8:52 am    Post subject: Bees Knees Cream Tea Reply with quote

"

"

Ingredients

• 450g Plain Flour

• 1 teaspoon Salt

• 1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

• 2 level teaspoons of cream of tartar

• 50 grams plain or salted butter (I use salted)

• 50grams Caster Sugar

• 1 med egg

• 300ml of sour milk or plain yoghurt if you cant get sour milk. (or do it the old fashioned way and put 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice in milk.

• slack hancfull of sultanas

• pastry cutter ( I use 3 inch for large scones and 2 for small scones)

• 220C, 425oF, Mark 7

Recipe

1. 1) Sift the Flour, Salt, bicarb, cream of soda, twice.

2. 1a) turn oven on to 220C, 425F or gas mark 7

3. 2) Add the sugar and stir into the flower.

4. 3) cut the butter into cubes and rub into the flour.

5. 4) Add the sultanas

6. 5) Whisk the Egg

7. 6) Make a well in the flour and add the sugar and mix in

8. 7) Add the milk a bit at a time. (You may not use all the milk as it really depends on the flour. Every flour has different absorbancy and I find that sometimes depending on where I bought the flour or the different make, the 1/2 pint milk is too much. As long as I can get it we use organic plain flour. but if I cant I get any old flour and just add the milk a bit at the time. You should be left with a slightly sticky dough.

9. 8)Turn the dough onto a well floured bread board or work surface and knead for about 2 minutes until the dough becomes less sticky.

10. 9) with the heel of your hand flatten out the dough until an even thickness of around 1 and a half to 2 inches is reached.

11. 10) Place on a floured baking tray, not touching each other and back for 8 to 10 minutes until just coloured on top.

Comments

Add your favourite preserve or Jam. I've just made four pounds of summer berry jam, which came from the last of last years summer fruits we froze. You can also spread the scones with butter or clotted cream

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipe Database All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive