Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
myxomatosis
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 05 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There does seem to be more myxie than usual this year, but I've noticed that it generally does flare up after a warm(ish!), wet winter.
Not that it's done that much to keep our rabbit population in check. For that we have to thank Pete (the cat that looks like the cat that looks like Hitler), who drags 'em back from the banks with great pride!

sara jane goodey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 05 10:56 am    Post subject: Killer cat Reply with quote

maybe you could train pete to be a gun-cat and retrieve for you!

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 05 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Killer cat Reply with quote

sara jane goodey wrote:
maybe you could train pete to be a gun-cat and retrieve for you!

Cats will just look at you and say "you shot it, you %$%&* pick it up".

joker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 05 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean my dog thinks hes a cat

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 05 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very little mixy over here, buzzard population not bad but less than the mainland.

South wales seemed Ok as well, although we moved away two years ago, we regularly had buzzards soaring above the house.

pricey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 05 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't got any on site at the mo 100 acres all looking fine here

Lloyd

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 05 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the wood I have eight active buzzard nests, and only the odd rabbit. Haven't seen Myxie for quite a while now. I always leave a myxied bunny alone, as that one might be the one that developes resistance to the virus, ensuring the continuation of the burrow, and hence, of my shooting pleasure.

Bernie66

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 05 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAn a myxy ridden rabbit be eaten, i know it would be a disgusting thought but is it a danger to humans, dogs or other animals?

Lloyd

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 05 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was once told that myxie is a kind of flu like virus in rabbits. The eyes and ears go swollen and pussy from scrathing. I've fed my dogs on myxied rabbit before with no ill effects, but I always cook the rabbit first anyway.

Danny girl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 05 11:34 pm    Post subject: what is myxomatosis? Reply with quote

Im a year 9 student and my teacher asked me to find out wat myxomatosis is, how it works, and wether it is bad or good. what douse it do? all i know is it has some thing to do with rabbits can eney one help me.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 05 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: what is myxomatosis? Reply with quote

Danny girl wrote:
Im a year 9 student and my teacher asked me to find out wat myxomatosis is, how it works, and wether it is bad or good. what douse it do? all i know is it has some thing to do with rabbits can eney one help me.

There is plenty of info on the internet but a good page for you may be:

www.which.net/gardeningwhich/advice/pests/factsheets/rabbits.pdf

Good luck.

crackapple

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 05 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not noticed much myxie round here. my springer caught one a while back, despatched it as it was v. weak, next day it was gone, handy waste disposals are foxes. the dog also caught one with a tooth protruding 2 inches out of its bottom jaw! poor thing was suffering very skinny.

timberdog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 05 4:45 pm    Post subject: mixy Reply with quote

For what its wortha good friend of mine I.Forbes a well known Falconry Vet said no issue to Humans or other Animals or consumption my Hawks and Falcons catch the odd Mixy Rabbit and i let them feed up on them no issue for myself after fifteen years of doing so??

But i suppose ya never know??

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 05 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All bunnies that go into my dogs bellies is pressure cooked first anyway, but Whilst I know that myxie is really only rabbit - flu, I wouldn't wish to eat the pussy-eyed scabby crittur myself, unless I was in a survival situation!

tjs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 05 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems to be quite abit of mixy around in surrey, saw a rabbit today i had to put out of its misery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive