Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Where can I buy POL chickens in West Yorks??

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 05 8:17 am    Post subject: Where can I buy POL chickens in West Yorks?? Reply with quote

I have a home made hen house with perch, nesting box and loads of room ready to house about 3/4 chickens. I would really like view my chickens before buying but where can I buy POL chickens in West Yorkshire? Can anyone help with contacts? I would prefer the bantam variety of Light Sussex if possible or Rhode Island Red variety.
Thanx

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 05 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a few members from that neck of the woods but if no one can recommend anywhere you could have a look at the Country Smallholding breeders directory:

https://www.countrysmallholding.com/content/resources/?id=833

Rowan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 05 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx
I've looked on countrysmallholding website and it is useful-just would like somewhere very local if possible so I can see how the chickens live and ask questions. I'm not sure about having chickens posted out! Maybe I am just being silly!

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 05 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of our members are around more in the week, so I wouldn't worry yet. You'll probably find a lot more responses on Monday or Tuesday.

Rowan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 05 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers sean

I will log in early next week. Looks like an interesting site.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 05 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowan wrote:
Thanx
I've looked on countrysmallholding website and it is useful-just would like somewhere very local if possible so I can see how the chickens live and ask questions. I'm not sure about having chickens posted out! Maybe I am just being silly!

Some of the advertisers are in West Youkshire. I agree about visiting the place where the chickens are raised as that's often recommended so you can check the health and conditions of the parents, something we did when we got our birds. However, I'm not sure how common the Light Sussex bantams are. Good luck tracking them down and I would love to see some pics when you get them.

Gertie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 05 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rowan - welcome to the site!

We live in South Yorkshire and we have seven hens we got from the Battery Hen Welfare Trust.

The local newspapers here have adverts for POL for £4 each, but I guess looking at the telephone number they are in the Barnsley area. Where abouts are you in West Yorkshire? We have a few members based in West Yorkshire who probably haven't seen this post yet and may get in touch.

Also would second what Treacodactyl said - Country Smallholding has a lot of adverts for poultry breeders, thing is just tracking down someone local to yourselves without having to travel too far.

Rowan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 05 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm in Leeds. I think that bantam variety of Light Sussex may be difficult to get hold of. I have a few feelers put out locally but nothing concrete has come of it yet. Anyone recommend any variety of hen suitable for a large back garden?

Cheers

Will

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 05 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try www.storrspoultry.co.uk - they don't list a Light Sussex bantam but do list lots of others...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 05 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Will

Looked at Storrs webpage - lots of breeds. Also discovered Practical Poultry mag with breeders directory for Yorks. May have to choose another breed.

Rowan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 05 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all

I have now got 3 black rock hens! I bought them from Edward Boothman in Silsden(nr Keighley). Nice guys and if anyone in Yorkshire wants some black rocks I recommend this breeder! Thanks for advice from members - I found the breeder through the country smallholder website.

Had some small eggs which are delicious and don't hens just love to eat grass and slugs. Is it ok to put wood chip down for them?

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 05 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowan wrote:
Is it ok to put wood chip down for them?

Dust extracted wood shavings for the house is the stuff most widely recommended (Large bales are reasonable considering they last ages). Bark chippings can apparently contain mould spores that can be harmful so avoid them.

Pat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 05 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Powan
I'm glad you got your hens.I arrived on the forum late or I could have told you there is a breeder in Wakefield.I am in Leeds and recently got 12 Black Rock chicks but I got them from Karen Sanderson at York.She has a lovely free range set up there with pigs and poultry.Hope you do well with the chucks-I have found mine very late in starting laying.
Pat

hostyorkshire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 05 10:03 pm    Post subject: Barnsley Reply with quote

Hey that's handy to know. I'm in Barnsley and was looking for someone local.

It will be a few months until I get hens for my allotment but I'm already building the house.

Hey Gertie, I'll also find out where the Battery Hen Welfare Trust is in Barnsley. Thanks

Andrew

Gertie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 05 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew - The nearest co-ordinator for the Battery Hen Welfare Trust is Lincoln. I don't live that far away from Barnsley!

If you don't fancy a two hour drive to pick some hens up you could do what others have done here and contact your local battery farmer to see if he has any he will sell you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive