Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Yeasty bread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 04 5:25 pm    Post subject: Yeasty bread Reply with quote

The missus has finally started making bread, the rewsults are a nice dense loaf, but it smells and tastes very yeasty, she's reduced the amount she uses but it's still the same, what's the problem?

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 04 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the problem, that is what homemade bread is like. I have tried with instant yeast, dried yeast and yeast and the bread is always yeasty. We like it. You will get used to it.

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 04 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it too, just thought it seemed overtly yeasty so maybe we were doing something wrong

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 04 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really noticed, but then I have eaten home made bread for most of my life. Someone at work yesterday notices it was homemade in my sandwiches as he could smell it was yeasty.

cab

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 04 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy and too-yeasty can be the result of not enough gluten in the flour (in which case I usually put a spoonfull of gluten or bread improver in it), not enough time proving, or a dough being a bit too wet. If it was well risen before baking, my guess is that the bread flour isn't 'strong' enough; it'll vary between batches of flour.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 04 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a mix of 2/3 white 1/3 wholemeal Doves strong flour

cab

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 04 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Doves Farm is the flour we use, and in the last month we've been finding that the malted wholegrain flour has been sinking (never used to, it's the new batch of flour).

We've taken to adding flour conditioner stuff (the dough improver stuff with some vitamin c and some extra gluten) and that's sorted it nicely for us.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 04 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been the missus doing it, so I'd have to talk to her about it. Tastes good though, especially toasted, can't see us going back to shop bought had some last night with home made garlic butter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive