Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Pastry - What Did I do?

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 05 6:44 pm    Post subject: Pastry - What Did I do? Reply with quote

I did everything the way I normally do it, half fat to flour, 1 egg + 1 yolk, a little water, the pastry was a nightmare to roll, cracking and splitting all over the place.

So how come when it came out of the oven it looked and tasted far better than any pastry I had ever made before?

Wish I knew what I'd done so I could do it again.

judith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 05 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you chill it before rolling?

moggins

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 05 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, always do that too. It's got me mystified, my pastry is always edible (thanks to the food processor) but's never turned out this light and flaky and melt on the tongue before.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 05 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it a different flour, egg or fat?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 05 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your flour may have been drier than normal. Or, as TC suggested did you use a different fat.

moggins

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 05 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, so Tesco Sunflower Spread is good for something then

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 05 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe it's the flour harvest - they are always different according to the flour people, who advised to put less water in the breadmaker than usual this year.

mochyn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 05 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it a particularly dry/rainy day when this happened? Atmospheric moisture can reputedly affect the way flour behaves.

moggins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 05 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember now!!

Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 05 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made some little quiches earlier this week, and because I thought butter would be a bit extravagant I tried a sunflower oil pastry. It was pleasant, but very, very crumbly even when cooked, and even rolling it between film didn't work. I think it may have had a bit too much oil in, and so I didn't add water either, which won't have helped.

What does adding an egg do? That might be worth a try, in that brief period of spring before those minxes go broody

Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 05 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the minxes are broody now so we are using eggs from the free range (free range as in you have to drive very slowly up the road so as not to come home with a free Sunday roast!) and made another quiche last night, as I forgot to make the pastry I used the food processor, half butter to bread flour, water to bind, and I didn't bother chilling it before rolling, but did chill the case before baking it.

What is new this time is that I tried out baking parchment topped with rice for the blind baking and that has worked really well to stop the base rising, had always thought it a bit of a faff before but it's well worth the effort and baking parchment being what it is I will store the rice and the circle somewhere handy so I can use it again and again.

However the edges were still inclined to puff up and lose their shape a bit; any suggestions how I could stop this if I ever fancied a more cosmetically perfect tart?

snowball
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 05 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you prick the edges before it goes in the oven?
Also try leaving an excess of pastry on the edge and trimmiing with a ver sharp knife once it is cooked.

judith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 05 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
However the edges were still inclined to puff up and lose their shape a bit; any suggestions how I could stop this if I ever fancied a more cosmetically perfect tart?

This is something that exercises my mind on the rare occasions that I make a quiche (or lemon tart, yum!).
My preferred weighting medium is dried chick peas which seem to work well enough for the bottom, even without baking parchment.
But the sides are problematic. Even if I prick them thoroughly with a fork, they still seem to bubble up. I can imagine some sort of quiche tin-shaped insert - perhaps with perforations - that you put into the pastry case to prevent the phenomenon. Does such a thing exist?

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 05 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't generally bother too much with the inside of the edges as they're very rarely seen at all.

Make sure it's pressed firmly against the tin (use a spare piece of pastry), leave extra over the edges and trim after the blind-bake and be generous with the filling, and no-one will even notice.

snowball
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 05 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are really that fussed, you can put a baking tin on top of the rice, beads or whatever, and weight that too. Obviously, you need a tin that fits the diameter of your pastry perfectly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive