About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Fruit glut - plums and blackberries!
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 05 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can vouch for the plums, cab, 20lb later and I've given up - the freezer is bulging! They're going to be turned into alcoholic Xmas pressies Shame the mushies aren't as prolific this year.

cab

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 05 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nettie wrote:
Shame the mushies aren't as prolific this year.

It's early yet. Give 'em time.

daniel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 05 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to give mushroom hunting a serious go this year. I've been on my bike a lot and have plenty of free time AND have a leaflet on mushrooms in Epping forest so why not. My eyes are also peeled for plums and blackberries but i dont think the blackberries are quite ready yet.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 05 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local plum tree is way off ripe, the backberries will be late august at the earliest.

kevsterjw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 05 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm waiting for the nush as the back of my garden to ripen i thought it was blackberry but a coupke have turned pink so i'm guessing its raspberry's!! most are green still and i'm off on holiday for two weeks at the weekend so i hope they don't come ripe whuile i'm away.

cab

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 05 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevsterjw wrote:
i'm waiting for the nush as the back of my garden to ripen i thought it was blackberry but a coupke have turned pink so i'm guessing its raspberry's!! most are green still and i'm off on holiday for two weeks at the weekend so i hope they don't come ripe whuile i'm away.

Blackberries turn pink before they go black. The easy way to tell is the new stems; on raspberries they're pale green and a little spiky, on blackberries they're darker and spikier.

kevsterjw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 05 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't know that cheers. I've got a file full of blacberry resipies ready for them!!

judith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 05 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cab wrote:
Blackberries turn pink before they go black. The easy way to tell is the new stems; on raspberries they're pale green and a little spiky, on blackberries they're darker and spikier.

I've just realised that we have a patch of wild raspberries in Compost Corner. Unfortunately the blackbirds realised it first, so there isn't a lot left.

I am really starting to go off blackbirds

joanne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 05 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm feeling really really pleased with myself - Went to the Dandie Club Committee Meeting yesterday and in the hotel where we have the meeting was a plum tree laden down with ripe fruit plus loads all over the floor - quick convo with the owner - I now have more plums than I know what to do with.

Made a lovely plum streusel tart last night but am interested in Cab's plum and courgette chutney he mentioned (any poss of a recipe Cab?)

Also will be making wine and jam tonight - However have one question anyone got an easy way of getting the pesky stones out ?

Joanne

cab

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 05 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jocorless wrote:
Well I'm feeling really really pleased with myself - Went to the Dandie Club Committee Meeting yesterday and in the hotel where we have the meeting was a plum tree laden down with ripe fruit plus loads all over the floor - quick convo with the owner - I now have more plums than I know what to do with.

Made a lovely plum streusel tart last night but am interested in Cab's plum and courgette chutney he mentioned (any poss of a recipe Cab?)

Also will be making wine and jam tonight - However have one question anyone got an easy way of getting the pesky stones out ?

Joanne

I'll dig the recipe out later. Remind me if I forget.

The wine... Don't worry about the stones, put the plums in a straining bag, pour on the hot water and sugar and what have you, along with some enzyme when it cools, and squeeze them a few days later. When you come to remove the pulp and stones in the bag, how little there is left in there will surprise you.

twoscoops

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 05 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a huge supply of brambles in field out back.

Bramble jelly – just like jam, but no pips. Great.
Ice cream
Sorbet
Cordial
Steeped liqueur
Cheesecake

Plums – Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstalls’s sweet & sour damson dipping sauce. Maybe this weekend.

cab

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 05 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plum chutney...

Take 4lb of plums, stew them to a pulp and put through a colander to get the stones out. Be thorough, you want all the flesh, so if need be put the stones in another pan with some water and boil them.

Dice up about 3lb of courgettes, 2lb of onions and 2lb of raisins, and some good hard apples (8 or so), maybe even a few hard carrots if you have them. Put that all in with the plums, and add in a pound of dark muscovado sugar and a pound of white sugar. Add some vinegar, basically till it balances out the sugar, something in the region of 2-3 pints depending on how sharp the plums are. Make up a spice bag (nutmeg, mace, chilli, coriander seeds, ginger, peppercorns, cumin seeds, throw the spice rack at it!). Toss it all in the pan and boil it gently for anything between an hour and three, till it's thick and rich; put some on a plate and put it in the fridge, it won't set but you'll see how it looks when it's cooling.

Bottle as for any preserve.

whitelegg1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 05 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was out walking with the family just over a week ago, and we came across two trees with fruit that we didn't recognise. They were like very small plums, one was yellow the other a rich red.
They had stones like a gage.
They certainly smelled OK, but we weren't brave enough to try eating one.

After a bit of web searching, it would appear that they were cherry plums...(never heard of them before).

They are very helpfully hanging over someones fence, and are accessible from the pavement.

Has anyone come accross these, any tips for cooking/preserving?

Thanks

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 05 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cherry plums (myrobalan or mirabelle plums) are very variable, some can be insipid others are as good as the best "norrmal" varieties, treat exactly as normal plums.

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 05 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veg Talk on Radio 4 - which you can listen again to until Friday is all about growing and processing stone fruits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive