Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Need a Recipe for VIBIBI and MKATE WA SINIYA... and Wyazi Wa
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 09 2:33 pm    Post subject: Need a Recipe for VIBIBI and MKATE WA SINIYA... and Wyazi Wa Reply with quote

can someone please provide me with the recipe for vibibi, mkate wa siniya and vyazi wa naazi (potatoes cooked in coconut sauce). These are typical and popular dishes form the exotic coast of east africa.

thanks.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 09 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello makadara. Welcome to the site. Our resident African cooking expert will along before long I'm sure. In the mean time why not introduce yourself a bit?

Minamoo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 09 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a Recipe for VIBIBI and MKATE WA SINIYA... and Wyaz Reply with quote

makadara wrote:
can someone please provide me with the recipe for vibibi, mkate wa siniya and vyazi wa naazi (potatoes cooked in coconut sauce). These are typical and popular dishes form the exotic coast of east africa.

thanks.

Salima is that you?

Edited to add: Having though about that.....i am sure there are more people who live in toronto who aren't my sis. I will dig out the recipes at some point and post them on.

makadara

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 09 3:58 am    Post subject: Makadara - A Brief Introduction Reply with quote

Hi Folks, I am not familiar with the site and do not know exactly how to respond to any posts including those that are in reply to my request for recipe for vibibi, mkate wa siniya and vyazi wa naazi. but i wish to thank the two respondents for their kind replies and look forward to the recipes. i was born, brought up, studied, worked and married in mombasa before seeking greener pasture elsewhere(a big mistake)! There is no place on this earth like the Kenyan coast.... period. I spent 13 years as a teacher in Mombasa where I ended up as the principal of st augustine's prep school in tudor 4. I left Mombasa back in 1981 and now, barely existing in the frigid toronto where my clerical work involves pushing 'electronic' documents from one department to another!!!
i am looking forward to that day when i shall be able to return 'nyumbani' (home) for good - God willing!

Bodger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 09 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats sad. I hope that things buck up and get better for you.

I think that you'll find some light relief on the forum and I also look forward to seeing the recipes when they are posted and having a go at making them.

gz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 09 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps makadara and minamoo's sis ought to meet?

Minamoo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 09 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Habari! Nimekutumia message Makadara. Nimekupatia website yaitwa alhidaaya ambao utazipata hizo recipe zote ambao unazihitaji.

I know this website is totally useless for the rest of you seeing as it's entirely in Swahili, alhidaaya is the website and this is what mkate wa sinia looks like (it is a rice based cake thing with a texture a bit like a crumpet. It's rather hard to describe and vibibi looks like. It's like a pikelet. Sort of. Made once again with rice and coconut milk. Both of them are yeasted too. Gosh I miss my mum. She makes the best vibibi.

Makadara, when you make the vibibi, try and make a coconut sauce to eat with them*. It's incredible. Just cook some coconut milk with sugar and ccrushed cardamom (iliki) until it's really thick. If you have any of that "rose" essence (not rose water, that super fake stuff by Maimun or whoever, you should be able to get it at Asian food stores) then add a couple of drops of it but you don't need to. My mum layers the vibibi with the syrup to serve while nice and warm. If you make loads of vibibi, they freeze really well and then you can defrost and reheat them by steaming them and they taste just like fresh. You can do this with mkate wa sinia too. And if you're after a recipe for mahamri, viazi vya rojo, kuku wakupaka, na tango la nazi, zote zimo kwenye hii forum. Oops...english...all these recipes are already on the forum.

*this coconut sauce is just as scrummy served with pancakes and stuff like that.

Millymollymandy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 09 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating! Is Keki Ya Karoti carrot cake? Just a guess!

Those recipes sound and look delish.

Minamoo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 09 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millymollymandy wrote:
Fascinating! Is Keki Ya Karoti carrot cake? Just a guess!

Those recipes sound and look delish.

Hehe! yes. keki ya karoti is carrot cake.

Cathryn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 09 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my child does not return home able to cook at least a few Kenyan dishes she might find herself homeless!

And whatever she says, the Indian Ocean is not quite like Borth. (It's rather nice to discover that she has a strong loyalty to home though.)

Millymollymandy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 09 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any websites with these sorts of recipes in English? I love the sound of the coconut milk cooked with sugar and cardamom and rosewater. Yum!

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 09 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of Mina's recipes are here.

Millymollymandy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 09 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That just puts me in a blank search box and as I don't know what her recipes are called I can't search for them.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 09 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sorry. Use African as the cuisine.

marigold

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 09 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an English version of mkate wa sinia https://www.mwambao.com/sinia.htm and it sounds perfect for coeliacs, but I don't know how to translate the thick/thin coconut milk instructions? Coconuts I buy here only have thin watery milk in them and I'd rather use ready prepped coconut milk if I can. Any suggestions for an inauthentic version that I could try, Mina?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive