Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Decluttering challenge, Nov 09
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 09 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told at the week end the attic needs sorting/emptying The 'attic' is an extension built several years ago as a shower room and ensuite bedroom. It was never finished for several reasons - money, time, circumstances but now it is going to be done. Being a dormer bungalow (with little storage space) and having three offspring return home from uni it's full of stuff with nowhere to go. Chez you timimg is perfect but I'm dreading it...one box at a time, one box at a time.

What to part with though? I think I'd rather see the children leave home than part with my dolls cot from cough cough years ago.

welsh veg grower

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 09 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladies ladies your not making me look forward ot the moving and unpacking bit at all are you.

I now have boxes in old house
Boxes in rented house
stuff in both houses and garage

all needs to be in new house next week and most needs to be unpacked quick as I have guests coming soon

judith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 09 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bring me sunshine wrote:
Chez wrote:
A box at a time, ladies. You know you want to!

Get the box out.
Go and make a cup of tea, coffee, etc.
Take beverage in to room and put down beside box.
Sit on floor.
Open box.
Take drink of tea.
Go through box and divide in to things that you will use in the next twelve months and things you won't.
Put first section away somewhere.
Put second section back in box, ready for the tip or the charity shop - whichever seems best.

Or ...........

Reach for a box
Fall over the OH's bike, bang leg on coffee table, knock over opened box of books, swear profusely as they all fall on head
Clear up mess, pick up the first box that comes to hand
Take to bedroom as there's no room in living room
Make coffee, put down next to box
Open box
Gasp at the contents (so that's where that is!)
Make a 'to keep pile'.
Shoo cat off said pile
Cat knocks over coffee
Jump up, swear at cat, run to get cloth
Come back to find cat missing, dog's run off with something important
Close box, take back to room
Still can't find cat
Return to living room, open box, rescue cat

Or my own personal technique, which is to efficiently sort box, corner or whatever, putting everything into the relevant Chuck, Donate, Keep boxes. Then to get tired, shove ALL the boxes into the other half of the Room of Doom where I can't see them and then forget all about them for another 6 months.

chez

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 09 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

judith wrote:
Or my own personal technique, which is to efficiently sort box, corner or whatever, putting everything into the relevant Chuck, Donate, Keep boxes. Then to get tired, shove ALL the boxes into the other half of the Room of Doom where I can't see them and then forget all about them for another 6 months.

We are addressing that on Friday afternoon, aren't we? I have wine as a reward when you are finished. And maybe cake.

If I can do it, anyone can. Honestly. It's just a case of being sensible about it.

GSHP, can you give your dolls cot to someone who will appreciate it, rather than letting it languish?

judith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 09 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
We are addressing that on Friday afternoon, aren't we? I have wine as a reward when you are finished. And maybe cake.

I love it when you use your Head Girl voice.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 09 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll play

sort out 5 drawers in filing cabinet
find workbench near toaster
clean book shelf in lounge and sort books

SandraR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 09 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
GSHP, can you give your dolls cot to someone who will appreciate it, rather than letting it languish?

Up until a couple of years ago it was used by the minded children, now I think it can go along with everything else that fits into the 'if not used in the past year ' category.

I have only just finished sorting my late mother in laws house....admittedly several boxes from there have crept into our house.

I'll start tomorrow !

marigold

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 09 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had quite a good sort out in the front bedroom a couple of weeks ago, but haven't got the stuff for recycling out of the door yet, 'cos I'm waiting for a friend to come and pick it over first in case there's anything she "needs" in the pile.

I also need to sort out:

books for recycling
WIP arty/crafty projects
getting eBayable stuff listed
filing cabinet
photos (prints and digital)

Fee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 09 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, I like this, my decluttering has subsided lately, I was doing so well in the summer.

My main priority is that we're going to move my office into the larger spare room so we can create more of a library rather than piles of books everywhere, so with that in mind...

1. Computer books (we really don't have the need to keep a Windows 3.1 manual other than for prosperity )
2. Filing cabinet (I'm scared of that one, and it only has 2 drawers!)

But, before we can move them, we need to:

3. Clear out wardrobe in spare room #1 (which mostly contains things that were put in there when we moved here 6 years ago)...which can be broken down further by:
4. Empty/sort cupboards inside wardrobe which appears to be full of cables that were so needed 6 years ago that they weren't chucked, yet haven't been touched since

And I suppose we need to sort out the understairs storage issue, might pick something up in IKEA on thursday for that.

joanne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 09 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll play too - I want our dining room which was all lovely and perfect last Yule (admittedly it wasn't actually finished until 7pm on Yule but hey!) back to the way it was and the bits that were never finished finishing - I also want to get to the corners of the dumping ground we laughingly call the conservatory as I'm sick of looking at it

Tidying these 2 areas up means I'll be able to move the PC back downstairs out of our bedroom and reclaim that space as well

chez

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 09 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem. Are we talking an Ikea trip on your way to Wales? Just askin', you understand ...

SandraR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 09 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I sort out /empty out the' not yet unpacked since moving boxes ' in the under stair cupboard, I could put boxes from the attic in there ..yes?

Fee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 09 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
Ahem. Are we talking an Ikea trip on your way to Wales? Just askin', you understand ...

No, before, do you need something? I'm going on Thursday!

chez

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 09 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSHP, yes, you could. And then, ahem, sort them out another time

Fee. Maybe. Yes. Please. I want a thingy to put stuff in ... I will go and look at their online catalogue.

Fee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 09 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on getting one of these for under our stairs, they come in many sizes with many options on drawer types:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S29862951

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive