Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Eating Crow
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 10 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/?date=19971209

Looks like a big NO

Kate

chez

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 10 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Family legend has it that during the thirties, my father used to catch crows and sell them to the neighbours to eat. Crow pie. Depends how hungry you are, I guess - I think they were, quite.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 10 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young ones are ok ,boil well and wash hands after prep

not a delicacy but wholesome if a little strong ,not much meat on em though and old ones are very tough and "tasty"

better to use em as bait in the fox trap

SheepShed

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 10 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing a recipie for Crow Pie in an old edition of Mrs. Beeton's Cookbook. Apart from crow it contained a truly horrifying amount of salt.

lottie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 10 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've an old Dorothy Sleightholme recipe for Rook pie---but it's for young ones just using the breasts.

Mrs R

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 10 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of records in old books I've read about huge shoots of crow/rook all going for pie - I would certainly give it a go!

Bodrighy

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 10 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the problem may be a modern one. Crows scavenge so will have possibly been eating from bins etc and personally that would put me off a bit. I have seen recipes for crow and rook pie, usually with loads of steak or some other meat as well and in very old
recipe books.

Pete

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 10 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wash biol serv as it says on the label (washington state biological service )recieved a leg tag back in the post that they had put on a crow with the comment that the cooking instructions didnt taste good

Mr O

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 10 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will stick to the eating only Herbivores rule

Mrs R

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 10 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where do pigs and chickens come in that?

Mr O

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 10 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eating crow, or eating crow pie means to "admit you are wrong" in the USA and Canada, perhaps there is something to learn from that?
As far as pigs and chickens are concerned, the ones I have consumed were pretty much vegetarians. Apart from the odd worm I guess

Bodrighy

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 10 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eating carnivores isn't something that bothers me, eating scavengers does. I suppose both pigs and chickens will eat pretty much anything if you let them but hopefully not too many that end in the food chain have had much access to dustbins. I ate dog in India (found out afterwards) and only side effect was annoyance at being diddled by the steward (on a ship) who was supposed to have got us a chicken curry. (Yes it did taste like chicken but then in curries who's to know) I think we have by and large become very finicky about what we eat in this country. Having worked in a meat processing factory for a few weeks as a student I must say I think I'd rather eat crow than supermarket sausages etc. Probably cleaner.

pete

Cobnut

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 10 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny what sort of sites I save to my favourites ...

https://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm

touchwood

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 10 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Cobnut"]Funny what sort of sites I save to my favourites ...

Cobnut, I had pretty much given up on the idea untill you posted this, I may actually give it a try now (probably after a wine or two).

It's amazing what you can find in the recesses of favorites, I've got a few obscure ones as well.

Bodger

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 10 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Eating Crow Reply with quote

touchwood wrote:
We're begining to get a bit of a problem with crows and magpies ie; they're going after the chicken eggs as well as showing an unhealthy interest in the baby chooks.

We're tempted to shoot them but I hate taking a life for the sake of it and wondered if anyone knew if they made decent eating?

Your not taking life just for the sake of it though. You've said it yourself, the birds are taking an unhealthy interest in your hens eggs and chicks.
I wouldn't eat a carrion eater, it would be a recipe for disaster.
In the States for example, the crows carry West Nile disease.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive