Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
What paint to use inside a caravan?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 10 3:19 pm    Post subject: What paint to use inside a caravan? Reply with quote

Hi All,

N00b to the forum, but hopefully I'll become a regular over time as I'm about to live in a caravan again ... this time full time.

Anyhoo, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on what would be the best paint to use on the cupboards etc inside a caravan.

I've just brought a 27ft'er and the cupboards are a light brown colour, but I want to paint them with a sandy/light blue colour and was just wondering what paint would be the best.

I've done a bit of painting on the outside of a van before but never inside so I'm a little unsure.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Mike

Went

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 10 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike - need to sand or sugar soap the doors first depending on the finish. If they are wood then some type of eggshell finish would be fine. You can buy it for wood and it tends to be harder than normal emulsion. If the doors are melamine then you'll need a melamine primer then eggshell - couple of coats should be hard-wearing and damp resistant.

gardening-girl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 10 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi from another downsizer in Somerset!We,ll nearly have enough to beat the Welsh contingent at this rate.
Yummersetter has just planted a new orchard, and we have inherited lots of fruit treesin our walled garden allotments.
Whereabouts in Somerset are you?
Can you come to the meet -up next weekend?

Sorry can,t help with the paint!

stumbling goat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 10 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a friend of mine told me recently about something called similar to bullseye 3, or something close.

i will check with him, but he told me that this will stick to anything and can be painted over. i will call him to see what he suggests. he is a painter and decorator by profession.

sg

Freedom_Thoughts

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 10 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just incase anyone wanted to know I went with Auro eco paint.

Turned out to be great stuff, but we used a lot more than we first thought, I think it was because we didn't water down the primer enough and so more paint got absorbed into the wood we we're painting over, we ended up doing 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of normal paint.

In the end though it's turned out rather nice I think, here's a couple of pics of before and after for you all to see....

Bedroom-Kitchen Area Before

Bedroom-Kitchen Area After

Cupboards with Colour Detailing

And a lickle pic of our stove we're going to put in...

T.G

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 10 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks a lot nicer, bright and airy

Penny Outskirts

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 10 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks splendid, where's the caravan sited? We hope to live full time in a camper soonish

nora

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 10 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks much better now you've painted it. I like your woodburner too.

Freedom_Thoughts

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 10 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penny wrote:
That looks splendid, where's the caravan sited? We hope to live full time in a camper soonish

We're living on site where we work, at an orchard, hoping to be able to save some money over a season or 2, then looking for a small holding me thinks, but also about moving to Canada!

vegplot

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 10 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes it look a whole lot roomier. Wood is nice but can be a bit claustrophobic in small places.

stumbling goat

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 10 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what an improvement. much cleaner looking and airier.

sg

Brownbear

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 10 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree. The first pic looks like something out of the 70s, designed as Jason King's sex parlour but never used due to an excess of solvent-based wood lacquer that caused people to imagine they were turning into haddock.

Freedom_Thoughts

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 10 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree that it def makes it look and feel a lot more roomier.

I've never understood why a lot of caravan makers put dark wood in the van's it makes them look/feel so small?!?

The floor btw we ripped up the old carpet and put down some 25mm polystyrene for added insulation against the cold, and then put a 15mm bit of wood on top and then have stuck some vinyl floor tiles on top of this - saves hoovering, much easier to sweep up dirt and clean instead -- just took an age to lay, lots of fannying around cutting into corners etc!

Worth it in the end though!

Cobnut

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 10 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what an improvement! The wood burner looks good too; where did you get it and what output is it?

Freedom_Thoughts

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 10 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobnut wrote:
Wow, what an improvement! The wood burner looks good too; where did you get it and what output is it?

Thanks!!

I got the stove from Snail Stoves in Glastonbury, a great guy called Smiffy does them, very well made, light weight and lovely to look at.

We went with a 4kw model - 2nd smallest he does, we were going to go for the smallest one, but thought better safe than sorry and went for the next size up ... I'd rather be too warm than too cold if or when we have another winter like the last!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive