Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Oh I do like to be beside the seaside...
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 05 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Razor clams, they're a possible, as are shore crabs. Cheers.

Drift wood... Yeah, maybe, I hadn't even thought about covering non-edibles.

marigold

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 05 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to mention the need to check for sewage outfalls etc before foraging the seashore!!

The surfers against sewage website is informative (www.sas.org.uk).

Brighton still dumps untreated sewage in the sea (and that means all sorts of chemicals as well as pee and poo). Yuk!!!

Most places in the UK do treat sewage properly to EU standards before discharging into the sea, but I personally wouldn't forage the beaches here.

cab

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 05 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marigold, a very good point. I'll be sure to dwell on making sure that you pick from somewhere appropriate!

marigold

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 05 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the article, cab, I do have fond memories of winklepicking as a child on holiday in Dorset. I loved the collecting part amongst the rocks on the beach, then there was a long rigmarole of cleaning them (how we laughed when they escaped their bucket and crept all over Gran's kitchen!). Then the smelly boiling up and finally picking them out with a pin to eat. Mum loved them, but I thought they were revolting! The pleasure was in collecting Mum's holiday treat.

No worries about sewage in those days - most of the cottages had bucket loos and the contents went on to the garden. My grandparents grew the BEST tasting fruit and veg .

cab

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 05 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marigold wrote:

No worries about sewage in those days - most of the cottages had bucket loos and the contents went on to the garden. My grandparents grew the BEST tasting fruit and veg .

Even now, there are lots of places with beautiful clean beaches where you can gather plenty of shellfish, eat the seaweed, and pick up lots of good coastal plants. It's an area where, as yet, we don't have a good article.

I'll do one soon, but of course if someone were to beat me to it I could cope with that...

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 05 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point would be some links to the marine stewardship council and some info on how to find a clean beach.

I'm sure that there are some people here who would be keen to collaborate on this with you.

marigold

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 05 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure most beaches are perfectly safe and clean - it's just that I happen to live near one that might not be, hence my caution.

Richard Mabey's "Food For Free" has tips on foraging shellfish safely.

Ditto John Seymour's "Self Sufficiency".

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 05 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i noticed whilst on holiday that there were bylaws about taking things from the sea to do with sizes of the crab or fish.

Behemoth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 05 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern Water are trying to resolve this but have planning problems: https://www.southernwater.co.uk/educationAndEnvironment/inYourArea/sussex/brighton.asp

I'd still be wary though. Any water company should be able to tell you where their outfalls are.

Lozzie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 05 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockles? They were very popular for foraging when we were on holiday in Normandy.

cab

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 05 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockles are great, but foraging for them is a hard and dirty experience. Or at least when I used to go foraging for them it was! I was scared witless when more recently a bunch of Chinese labourers died picking cockles near my old spot Should we be telling beginners to go cockling?

I think three or four shellfish, three or four plants, seaweed, and a mushroom or two that do well near the coast.

cab

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 05 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and that's a great picture!

marigold

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 05 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cab wrote:
Oh, and that's a great picture!

Seconded!!

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 05 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thirded

Mat S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 05 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sucessfully snorkelled for spider crabs and caught (a few) prawns with a small net, digging around the rock pools. Bit more cunning in location and a better net and there would have been a decent portion of prawns. Once found a chap on at Pendine, S Wales with about one and a half pints of them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive