Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Question for downsizers in France

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 10 5:58 pm    Post subject: Question for downsizers in France Reply with quote

We have an interest in a new position in the south of france, mainly caretaking a property, so we wondered what could we do to supplement our income any ideas welcome. We have lived in Portugal and Belgium so we understand the language and integration situation quite well.
We are quite competent, gardening skills, sewing etc - I quite fancy growing cut flowers but wonder whether I'm living in cuckoo land.
Cheers
Lorrayne

mousjoos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 10 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which "south of France" do you mean?
There's the "real" south.... Italy type direction, & "the other south" which is mainly South West (where we are)

Be warned, there are lots of these caretaker positions, mostly gite complexes & the like, badly paid, or not at all.
Employment here is difficult for the most part, & money tight, if you speak to the locals. The expats are seemingly all tightening their belts too.
I wont discourage you from doing it, but maybe rent somewhere for a few months (including the winter period) to see what life is really like.
It's beautiful when it's warm & the sun is out, but Nov - May can be very different.
It will of course depend on which "département" you are thinking of.
If you've any questions please feel free to pm
Hope this helps

ksia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 10 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW France may be different from down south ...... but I imagine it's hard everywhere. I agree with mj's comments.

Have you taught English before? Might be a way - depends on how near to big towns you are.

tbh - and to be gloomy - my general advice for anyone thinking about moving to France is don't. Most people don't last unless they're retired or have plenty of dosh. We're neither. And it's tough.

mousjoos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 10 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ksia wrote:
NW France may be different from down south ...... but I imagine it's hard everywhere. I agree with mj's comments.

Have you taught English before? Might be a way - depends on how near to big towns you are.

tbh - and to be gloomy - my general advice for anyone thinking about moving to France is don't. Most people don't last unless they're retired or have plenty of dosh. We're neither. And it's tough.

I'd certainly second the last bit... times is 'ard.
We've been very lucky, & I've never taken as read that I'd find work.
It's taken all of 8 years here to build up the contacts we have, & there's always competition from those just out to earn a few quid on the black, no questions asked.
For the most part, folks are sensible & like some sort of comeback if it goes pants, but work here is not a given.

Whatever you decide, I hope it works for you

boisdevie1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 10 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been here 10 years and life can be very very hard. It's certainly not a bed of roses. If you speak good French then that's a big plus but remember that the unemployment rate here is about 10 percent so there are lots of French people (and me) looking for work.

Blue Sky

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 10 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mousjoos wrote:
ksia wrote:

I'd certainly second the last bit... times is 'ard.

Thirded ... and the rest!

Good advice above. Sorry for my late reply.

London10

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 12 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for downsizers in France Reply with quote

[quote="lorrayne:968182"]We have an interest in a new position in the south of france, mainly caretaking a property, so we wondered
Yes its a good idea and look that magazine think its called Lady , or look angloinfo.nice they have advert s .
A lot of care taking jobs are full time doing the garden etc etc

London10

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 12 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for downsizers in France Reply with quote

[ Forgot to write .. We agree 100% with Blue Sky you need the income or its hand to mouth till you have to give up ...
, we meet so many here who want to go home and lots of others who live in open prison in there own houses and wont mix or be involved with the local people , shop once a week lock the gate when they get back home and others who take off every few months for uk as they miss it so much ..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Downsizing abroad All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive