Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Gooseberries and blackcurrants - what to make

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 10 8:55 am    Post subject: Gooseberries and blackcurrants - what to make Reply with quote

Have harvested our gooseberries and blackcurrants this morning, but struggling with what to turn them into.

1kg of gooseberries (our best crop yet from our little bush!) and about 250g blackcurrants.

Ooh, and it just started raining, that was good timing!

Would normally make a blackcurrant ice cream, but seen as I can't eat it I don't want to this year. There isn't really enough to even make a little amount of blackcurrant sorbet. I haven't picked the whitecurrants yet, but there's only one bush so unlikely to make much difference.

Gooseberries wouldn't really work in a summer pudding, would they?

I think the gooseberries will end up as gooseberry jelly.

Jb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 10 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally I went to harvest our gooseberries this morning and found that something's been at them! That bush was laden and this morning I barely got a couple of hundred grammes off it - not fair!

lettucewoman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 10 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooseberry and blackcurrant crumble???...i made a gooseberry and orange crumble once...really yummy just grated the peel into the gooseberries with a bit of juice....

VM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 10 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find gooseberries and blackcurrants a bit tart in a crumble.

Gooseberry jam is ace I think - though jelly also good.

Both nice in cake.

Blackcurrant pie nice, though does need lots of sugar.

We have the opposite problem - too many blackcurrants! I've been eating them just mashed up with cream and sugar.

But is it the cream in ice cream that you can't eat?

mochyn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 10 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VM wrote:
I always find gooseberries and blackcurrants a bit tart in a crumble.

You haven't had our gooseberries! It sounds like you're either picking them too small or growing the wrong varieties. I saw a good-looking goosegog at the show yesterday: White Eagle. Huge fruit! I'm going to try to get a couple of plants.

VM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 10 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have some very lovely and not tart dessert ones - the red ones - it's the green ones I find very acidic and needing loads of sugar though I do love the flavour.

What's White Eagle - a cooking one or dessert one? Sounds very romantic for a gooseberry!

mochyn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 10 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here: https://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/catlist.php?id=12&stpos=15 It's a real show-winner.

toggle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 10 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Gooseberries and blackcurrants - what to make Reply with quote

Fee wrote:
Have harvested our gooseberries and blackcurrants this morning, but struggling with what to turn them into.

1kg of gooseberries (our best crop yet from our little bush!) and about 250g blackcurrants.

Ooh, and it just started raining, that was good timing!

Would normally make a blackcurrant ice cream, but seen as I can't eat it I don't want to this year. There isn't really enough to even make a little amount of blackcurrant sorbet. I haven't picked the whitecurrants yet, but there's only one bush so unlikely to make much difference.

Gooseberries wouldn't really work in a summer pudding, would they?

I think the gooseberries will end up as gooseberry jelly.

the ixture is a nice jam. blackcurrant on ti's own can be very strong, gooseberries in it makes it ilder and the kids scoff it.

otatop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 10 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made gooseberry (and elderflower) conserve, and gooseberry ketchup. And gooseberry fool, crumble and tart. And I froze the rest. You could chutney them.

Garden Kate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 10 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with jam.
My dad brought me a load of blackcurrents from his alotment, I had a load of goosberries i didnt know what to do with and some frozen redcurrents from last year so they all went in the jam pan.
It turned out well for only my second try at jam making, a bit sharp and could have done with a bit more sugar but very nice on toast.

lottie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 10 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love gooseberry ice cream and blackcurrant jam---whatever you do with your crop will be lovely--it's just the decision that's hard.

Fee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 10 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 gooseberry and blackcurrant pies in the oven I know I can't eat them, but I figure happy will have one this week, the other will go in the freezer to take out when we have guests, which I'm sure we'll have many of over the next few weeks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive