Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
I want to cry - Woodworm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 10 9:14 pm    Post subject: I want to cry - Woodworm Reply with quote

I've lifted the carpets in our house in order to strip the floors and seal them - however by the fireplace I've found the end of one floorboard that is riddled with woodworm

Also when I lifted the stair carpets I found all the gripper rods had crumbled away and were also full of woodworm - Having removed the rods I can see small tracks in the wood - only on the surface

I've done some reading on the net and I get conflicting reports about what I need to do - I really can't afford to spend anything on professionals coming in and treating the floor boards but is there anything I can do myself to stop and stabilise the floorboards and stop progression

I think it's from an old infection but obviously don't know enough about it to be definite

Gervase

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 10 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's getting a bit late in the year for woodworm to hatch, but keep an eye open for pale-coloured dust or 'frass' around the holes. You can glue a piece of paper over a holy patch and see if any eat their way through.
Old or new, though, it's a good idea to treat the wood. For a safe treatment, get some borax from Boots, dissolve a cupful in a jug of warm water and paint the wood liberally with that and let it dry. Borax will kill any larvae and stop new infestation. It's a lot kinder on you and the environment that the organophosphates used by Rentokil and the like.
If the wood has turned to Weetabix, it might be an idea to splice in a new bit of floorboard to stop a chair leg going through it.

Bernie66

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 10 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get quotes from three companies who can give proffessional estimates and ideas of how to treat it, you can then post these on here and someone with good knowledge can then advise on what can be done by yourself or a friend.

And don't fret over their prices, they are after making money, just make sure that they know that you want options, either treat and leave in situ and or replace.

Ren

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 10 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I am no help with an answer.

But having been through similar emotions with my roof the last couple of weeks, I hope you find a good solution to the problem.

Sending much luck & suitable solution-ness. x

(I know it's not a real word)

joanne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 10 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gervase - I'll get some Borax this weekend and sort it

chez

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 10 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had trouble getting it in large quantities, but found some online here. Postage not great, obviously.

Brownbear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 10 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a substance containing Permethrin, it's very effective but don't let cats get near it if you get hold of some.

joanne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 10 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
I had trouble getting it in large quantities, but found some online here. Postage not great, obviously.

Thanks Chez - I've ordered some from there

Katieowl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 10 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: I want to cry - Woodworm Reply with quote

joanne wrote:
I've lifted the carpets in our house in order to strip the floors and seal them - however by the fireplace I've found the end of one floorboard that is riddled with woodworm

Also when I lifted the stair carpets I found all the gripper rods had crumbled away and were also full of woodworm - Having removed the rods I can see small tracks in the wood - only on the surface

I've done some reading on the net and I get conflicting reports about what I need to do - I really can't afford to spend anything on professionals coming in and treating the floor boards but is there anything I can do myself to stop and stabilise the floorboards and stop progression

I think it's from an old infection but obviously don't know enough about it to be definite

Also FWIW I'll quote my OH's words of wisdom to you "Woodworm have never eaten a whole house...*." Unless you can see signs of life I'd not worry too much. Even then do what Gervase said...or buy a tin of stuff from the hardware shop and use that. It stinks to high heaven though...you will need to evacuate for a good few hours.

Kate

(*Termites maybe but fortunately we don't have those here!)

joanne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 10 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownbear wrote:
I use a substance containing Permethrin, it's very effective but don't let cats get near it if you get hold of some.

I really don't want to use Permethrin if I can get away with it as I've tropical fish and it's deadly to them even in tiny quantities - I'll try the Borax treatment and then keep an eye on it

Piggyphile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 10 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that painting on used engine oil works as well, but I don't have any actual experience.

Dogwalker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 10 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they can't eat a whole house. They've had a good try.

1750's woodframed/wattle and daub cottage,
Treated everything with borax as it was uncovered,
fingers crossed.

alice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 10 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I want to cry - Woodworm Reply with quote

Katieowl wrote:

Also FWIW I'll quote my OH's words of wisdom to you "Woodworm have never eaten a whole house...*." Unless you can see signs of life I'd not worry too much. Even then do what Gervase said...or buy a tin of stuff from the hardware shop and use that. It stinks to high heaven though...you will need to evacuate for a good few hours.

Kate

(*Termites maybe but fortunately we don't have those here!)

I agree. Woodworm is endemic in properties in Orkney. You live with it, and keep on top of it. In some properties it's only the woodworm, all holding hands, that keeps the roof on.

Jb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 10 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piggyphile wrote:
I have heard that painting on used engine oil works as well, but I don't have any actual experience.

Possibly not the best fire safety option though?

Dogwalker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 10 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just painted over some wood cladding that used to be an external wall, now inside the wash-house. The old engine oil had done it's job very well, only woodworm holes are around the edges that were previously covered with CI. It was still waterproof too.

Wouldn't want it inside though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Finance and Property All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive