Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Can you identify this mushroom please?

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 06 2:08 pm    Post subject: Can you identify this mushroom please? Reply with quote

Hi,
the mushroom in question has a diameter of 20-22 cm with a stype of roughly the same length. It has an obvious ring as shown on photo 2 below also it has no volva. It was found in a grassy clearing of an oak and chestnut wood and was on its own. I have a vague idea of what it may be but would like this confirmed.

Thank you to all in advance, hope you enjoy the challenge (if it is a challenge). There are a few more photos which may help if needed.

Mim.

judith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 06 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a parasol to me. Yum!

skedone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 06 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep thats a parasole mushroom good eating them

cab

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 06 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say for sure because I'd need to see the base of the stem, and I'd like to see the stem cut in two. First choice would be Macrolepiota rhacodes var. bohemica.

mimborin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 06 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the comments so far, here are a few more photos which may help (and the last of my photos of it). The stem was hollow inside, but I don't have any photos of that.

cab

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 06 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno; still looks like the same beast to me. At that size it must surely be one of the larger Macrolepiota. So thats M. hortensis, M. hortensis var. bohemica, or M. procera. The cap there looks most like M. hortensis var. bohemica to me. The stem is just a little too smooth for M. procera.

mimborin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 06 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cab.

My thoughts were also along the same lines, but I was a little confused (being new to this) by the lack of snake like mottling on the stype as for M. procera, in combination with the size. I am going to the same place again on Friday so I will have a look for some more. Cheers, Mim.

doctoral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 06 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, It looks like a M. Hortensis var. bohemica, stem is very smmoth compared to M. procera - so, basically, I agree with Cab. I wish I could have a dozen here to identify!!!

anand50

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 06 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like M Procera becase of sheer size of cap. Cut the mushroom - if the flesh reddens or goes slightly pink, is probably M Rhacodes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive