Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Anyone here know anything about planers?

Author 

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 11 10:09 am    Post subject: Anyone here know anything about planers? Reply with quote

Anyone know if this is anygood or is it likely to be representative of the price they're charging (ie cheap and nasty)

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-ehp82-power-planer-prod31505/

Normally I reckon that axminster are pretty good and at that price I'm almost willing to take a chance on it but if anyone out there has any advice I'll willingly accept advice.

Now what I actually want to do as a first job is not actually use it as a planer, although I have wanted one for some time, but run it across some old heavily painted planks to strip them back for repainting. I did try my belt sander on them but they're so heavily painted that it became very quickly very obvious that it was going to clog the belt sander so quickly that I'd spend a fortune in replacing the belts. I don't like using paint strippers (nasty toxic stuff) and as I looked in axminster this morning I spotted this which had been in my basket for ages but with axminster saying it's out of stock.

So is it any good, would it double up for the job I have immediately or is a cheap tool for the wrong job.

Last edited by Jb on Tue May 31, 11 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Dee J

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 11 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about others experiences, but I'm finding a lot of the 'cheap and nasty' tools - cheap and OK and last a reasonable time. Certainly drills, router, jigsaw, angle grinder and sander from various places (B&Q, Wickes, Focus etc) are more than adequate for diy work. My sds drills generally last a couple of years of light commercial use.

So it'll probably do perfectly well, I expect it's got a 12 month warranty, and would you want to use an expensive machine on that painted wood?

I wouldn't hesitate.

Dee

Jb

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 11 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. 'tis ordered (and if it's wrong I'll blame you, OK )

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 11 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to agree with Dee, for the price it looks like a good buy. I did have a problem with an Axminster 'White' sanding machine but it was sorted out by them which I can't complain about.

Dee J

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 11 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB wrote:
OK. 'tis ordered (and if it's wrong I'll blame you, OK )

Yep OK, in the league of world disaters I think I can cope with that

Dee

JohnB

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 11 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks very similar to the grey one I bought from Screwfix some years ago. I don't use it much, but it's fine for the occasional job.

I bought a similar price belt sander to strip paint off the door frames in my last house, and as long as it did the job I would have been happy. It was fine, and looked like it would still be going strong at the end of the job. Unfortunately, I let my tame builder borrow it, and it came back faulty. It fell apart with about half a door frame left to do . So I think these tools are fine for the price if you look after them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive