Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
salted green beans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 09 11:47 am    Post subject: salted green beans Reply with quote

Can anyone help me unravel the various info I'm coming up with on this....

Basically I have green beans, salt, kilner jars and boiling water. I want to preserve the beans and not get botulism (claro!). I don't have a pressure canner and would like to avoid using any more energy or equipment than the above.

Last year I tried Seymour' method of alternating layers of beans and salt (no water), the idea being that the water should come out of the beans themselves to create a brine. Well that didn't happen. So I was thinking if I couldn't find another way I could just use this method and then top up with boiling water, they would be super salted - surely no bacteria could survive that?

Or is there a guide (in metric) as to how strong to make a brine so that bacteria cannot thrive?

I know some people are a bit laissez-faire about bottling whilst otherwise are very method precise, I don't want to start any arguments please....

gz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 09 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't find any in the recipe index- put green beans in and it brought up a load of unrelated stuff
Hmso book just does salt and beans, says the bacteria are in air pockets so pack well

Clara

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 09 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but given last years failiure I'm not interested in doing the dry method, only brining.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 09 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brine pickled beans recipe. No idea if it's any good/how long they would store for though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive