Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Lap tops.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 11 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

camaro wrote:
As one who tends to go through a laptop a year, I wouldn't reccomend Dell. Good desktops, but their laptops are very cheaply built and didn't even last a year!
Toshiba are good, HP are about the same, but my reccomendation would be to buy the best Samsung you can afford.

The longest lasting laptops we've had in the company have been Dells.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 11 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not unhappy with Dell

Behemoth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 11 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spec on dell's batteries varies widely. The cheap ones won't last a year if you reglarly drain them.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 11 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
toggle wrote:
sgt.colon wrote:
As Stewy said, Acer are fine.

My personal preferences are either Sony or HP.

as long as you back up the bloody hard drives.

curses

Acers are shit. Having to back up the HD to make it a worthy product is not a good idea. Like saying a certain plane is fine, as long as you pack a parachute.

But backing up is a given more any PC/Laptop/Server.

That's an idea Nick, maybe we should all start carrying one.

Midland Spinner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 11 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about the ASUS A53F - EX911V? it looks to be the successor to the one that Shane posted about a bit ago.

We are in the unenviable situation of having to replace a laptop tootsweet given that mine just died when it tried to load the update to the "Basic PAYE tools" from t'gumjment's money removers
(Currently waiting to find out whether the techies can retrieve my files from the hard drive or whether I've lost the lot - please don't ANYONE even breathe the word backup, I've kicked myself hard enough in the last 2 hours without needing a reminder

oldish chris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 11 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth noting that Asus have won brownie points for reliability:
https://computers.toptenreviews.com/laptops/laptop-reliability-survey-reveals-asus-is-best-and-hp-worst.html

Drewsephine

Location: noun 1 a particular place or position: the property is set in a convenient location an actual place
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 11 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
Price is the crunch I think. This iMac is probably going to be the first and last Mac that I own. Though actually that's also partly because Apple have the worst customer service of anyone that I've ever dealt with. By a very, very, very long way.
Shame. The actual product is great.

Just a quick question. If the product is so great why do you need customer services? I'm not knocking apple as I think they make the best hardware available coupled with the software that works perfectly with it. If I had the money then all my computers would be macs.

oldish chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 11 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
toggle wrote:
sgt.colon wrote:
As Stewy said, Acer are fine.

My personal preferences are either Sony or HP.

as long as you back up the bloody hard drives.

curses

Acers are shit. Having to back up the HD to make it a worthy product is not a good idea. Like saying a certain plane is fine, as long as you pack a parachute.
Acer doesn't make HDs. A quick butcher's at "replacement hard drives" suggested about 4 major manufacturers. Its down to luck.

Right now I'm having problems with the screen of my 2 year old HP. Looks like I've to dismantle it and sort out some loose contacts.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 11 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldish chris wrote:
Right now I'm having problems with the screen of my 2 year old HP. Looks like I've to dismantle it and sort out some loose contacts.

Sounds like the reason I fell out with HP. On any laptop, the cable inside that connects the screen to the board is a part that is bound to fail sooner or later.
Mine did, so I get on to HP for a replacement: no chance. They will only sell a complete new screen.

Luckily there are plenty of folk on eBay with more sense, and it was an easy enough fix... once I'd found all the hidden screws.

oldish chris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 11 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldish chris wrote:
Rather than start a new thread.....

The problem with my HP lappy is (intermittently) returning. The man in the PC repair shop reckons it'll cost £180 (plus labour) for the replacement part.

So, I revisited this thread, looking for inspiration. At the moment, I'm torn between two options:
- the cheapest proper lappy from the nearest shed (LENOVO G575 15.6" Laptop @ £299 from Currys). In my case there is a second problem of which version of Linux to use (cos they've "improved" all the desktops).

Part of the dilemma of being a "tight-wad" is that, on the one hand, I have psychological problems with buying other than the cheapest, but on the other, I've managed to stash enough dosh to be able to buy Option 2: a Macbook Air.

I'm doing my own head in

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 11 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldish chris wrote:
oldish chris wrote:
Rather than start a new thread.....

The problem with my HP lappy is (intermittently) returning. The man in the PC repair shop reckons it'll cost £180 (plus labour) for the replacement part.

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave earlier: it's probably just the cable & they're trying to sell you a screen.
Quote:
In my case there is a second problem of which version of Linux to use (cos they've "improved" all the desktops).

I rather like Mint... If only because it was the only one I could get to work on the previous machine.

And if it is of any interest, a friend of mine has a couple of Dell laptops for sale...

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 11 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:
And if it is of any interest, a friend of mine has a couple of Dell laptops for sale...

When I said a couple, I may have been exaggerating a touch...
What he's got is a Dell XPS M 1330. 4GB RAM, 400GB Hard Drive.
Asking £320 +p&p

oldish chris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 11 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairyloon wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:

When I said a couple, I may have been exaggerating a touch...
What he's got is a Dell XPS M 1330. 4GB RAM, 400GB Hard Drive.
Asking £320 +p&p
Thanks for the info. At the moment I'm still researching. Your reference to Dell sent me to their website. At one time wasn't Dell offering systems with Linux installed until MS paid them to stop?

My requirements are amazingly trivial. I have backed up all my files onto an 8gig pen-drive with space to spare! I've never knowingly used over 1gig of RAM. I only need a fair bit of processing power to deal with all the images on a website.

Is it new(ish)?

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 11 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my hp seems fairly robust ,a similar twin drives ,fast chips and lots of connectivity/graphics /sound etc is at the top end of your budget 4 years on

for what you seem to need now you dont need the above sort of spec and something less like a piano to carry about could be a factor

oldish chris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 11 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My technical requirements are such that the cheapest system would be more than adequate - especially as the OS that I will be using will be far less resource greedy than the one that was installed by the manufacturer. I could get my present system repaired, but at a cost. For another £100 I could get a new system, but for how long would it last? My experience with HP laptops means that that make is at the bottom of my list.

The balancing act is to pay enough to get a machine that will last for years, but not so much that my web surfing is as costly as a taxi ride.

The final factor is the deep depression caused by parting with money.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive